Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wanting to build a baggage area under turtle deck

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I want to utilize some of the wasted space that's under the turtle deck. I plan to just remove the turtle deck for access since it's a  one piece Lexan one. I did some poking around on the Yahoo site and found these pics.

Baggagedrawing.jpg

img046.jpg

IMG_0337-1.jpg

This is exactly what I had in mind. It's just sail material with a piece of thin ply in the bottom. Has anyone on here done something like this? Looks pretty straightforward to make a pattern. I tried to find the guy on the Yahoo group who posted these but finding anything on there is near impossible. Sure wish those guys would migrate over here.

Posted

Joey - This doesn't show the control rods ?

EDMO

Posted

I did one kind of like this Joey,My Skyraider is a tandem so its not very wide but it is right behind the back seat.I made it out of upholstery material and it is held in by Velcro and snaps.I put a piece of cardboard in the bottom to kind of form it square.I put a first aid kit and a little tool pouch back there.Randy

Posted

Joey - This doesn't show the control rods ?

EDMO

They are forward of the bag I believe Ed. Hard to tell sitting here behind my computer.

Posted

Here is another one on a B model with a modified hinged turtle deck to allow access. He used grommets down the sides and zip tied it in. I think this one is deeper than the drawing I posted.

2013-02-12_13-05-09_874.jpg

Posted (edited)

Joey, I have a aluminum baggage compartment in mine. I also have to take the turtle deck of for access. I carry a set of plugs, wrench, and extra oil in mine at all times. The controls are in front of the baggage area.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

The drawings that you posted above were done by Ralph Moe. My Avid is in the same hangar with his. The baggage compartment works very well for him. I plan to make one myself once I can get some of my other issues solved. It is great for carrying tools and spares.

Dan

Posted

I want to utilize some of the wasted space that's under the turtle deck. I plan to just remove the turtle deck for access since it's a  one piece Lexan one. I did some poking around on the Yahoo site and found these pics.

Do you have any pictures of the One piece turtle deck?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Dan I sent you a private message. I'll try and get some pictures posted here of my turtle deck if I can find anyting decent on my computer.

Posted

Dan I got your message. Now I understand why it's so shallow. This is what I currently have. It's made my Fisher Upholstery in Eagle Idaho. It is pretty big and currently holds my big stuff when I go airplane camping and it has plenty of room for tools, tiedowns, oil, jackets, or whatever when I'm just flying locally. I want to add additional space though under my turtle deck so that I can free up my passenger seat so I can take my daughter now that she is getting a little older. The second pic sort of shows my one piece turtle deck. I'll dig through my saved stuff when I get a little more time and see if I can find some better shots for you.

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0140-2.jpg

IMG_0175-1.jpg

Posted

Here are a few more pictures I got from John Miller. Here are the dimensions he gave me.

Front width 27.5"

Sides are 26.5"

Rear is 19.5"

Depth is 14"

Looking towards the rear of the plane

2013-06-15_07-51-31_222.jpg

Under the turtle deck

2013-06-15_07-51-59_886.jpg

Lots of room

2013-06-15_07-52-32_804.jpg

He said it hadn't been out of his plane in almost 20 years

2013-06-15_08-01-52_57.jpg

I think this bad boy and the one I already have would give me enough room that I could ditch the giant backpack that takes up my whole view out the right side.

Posted

This was about as good as I could come up with for some shots of my turtle deck Dan. The upper bearing for the flaperon rod is some sort of hard plastic. I use two machine screws on either side of the flaperon rod down low to ensure it doesn't come loose right there. The rest of it is held on with normal fastners. The front part slides in under the skylight.

fueling.jpg

IMG_1158-2.jpg

Posted

The upper and lower pieces that enclose the flaperon tubes should be nylon. I thought about Teflon, which would be lower friction, but it is softer and probably would wear faster.

EDMO

Posted

I thought they might be made of Delrin but never really looked that close at the actual material on mine before. I might look into making a similar turtle deck. I have an oblong window in each half of mine now and all held in by 1/4 turn fasteners.

Dan

Posted

I knew I had a couple more better pictures

IMG_3730-2.jpg

IMG_3732-2.jpg

Posted

What type of plastic, and what thickness is your turtledeck?

Posted

Looks like bronze lexan .093 to .125 thick, im making one out of .093 M5 bronze

Posted

Just thought I would post some pics of the storage area I built in my Mod 1 Kitfox. Sorry for the poor quality photos there using my old cell phone camera. It is constructed of .06 Lexan with reinforcing at the hangers and an Aluminum outside door. The top of the door is pinched under the turtle deck.

Dave

post-183-0-46466300-1384294000_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-76437700-1384294013_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-67511100-1384294027_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-27337900-1384294041_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nicely done Dave! Was it a CG issue that caused the early planes to have ZERO baggage area from the factory? One of the major selling points of the Avid MKIV was the factory baggage space. Nothing changed with the fuses. I guess in the early days they didn't figure people were using these planes for anything more than flying around the local flagpole perhaps??

Posted

Dave

Great storage idea that I never thought about.

My Kitfox is also covered with fabric under the turtle deck like yours is.

I was going to remove the fabric to install the storage sack as was shown earlier in this thread.

If I send you my cell phone will you take some photos of how you lined the compartment fore and aft and above the elevator pushrod? L.O.L.

At least you know how to post photos and I am clueless.

Thanks for the great idea.

Herman

Posted

I have taken better pictures of the baggage compartment. Here they are:

Hope this helps

Dave

post-183-0-91974400-1390078929_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-27652100-1390078968_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-86617300-1390079008_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-81396300-1390079054_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-28824600-1390079101_thumb.jpg