Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fly In Fishing Alaska

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Leni, Randy, Anybody.

No that I added the cargo pod to my plane, it is anxious to have something in it.  Where are the best fly in salmon fishing areas?

Thanks

Posted

There are several areas you can land along the Kustatan river that offer GREAT fishing for silvers.  Get good on the gravel bars and depending on water levels, there are a few bars on Lake Creek that you can land.  Kings should be in there right now, but make sure the area is open!  I think its fly fishing only but I could be wrong, check the regs!  I have a blast fishing Lake Creek with a 5 weight catching everything from Grayling to kings and all species in between.

Most of my fly in fishing spots are for floats... Get those bad boys mounted up, just watch the fiberglass floats on the river rocks !!  I would be more prone to keeping those in the lakes..

Randy can tell you better some of the areas up in the Valley, most of my spots are West of there, but the illiamna area offers mind blowing fishing, it just takes our slow planes a little while to get there!

:BC:

Posted

So--  If I don't fish and don't really hunt, is there no real good reason for me to ever come to Alaska?

That sucks.

Posted

No, nothing to see or do here Larry, move along, nothing to see   :lol:

Posted

Hahaha :funnypostabove:  Jeff, I'll have to show you some of the few that I know.  I do want to get down to check out the Kustatan that Leni mentioned.  I guess it can be kind of busy but productive.  We need to get Leni to show us the Lake Creek spots.

Posted

Lets Go. 

Posted

The kustatan can get a bit busy on the Devito strip down on the lower river, but if you fly up past the slew where all the flyin outfits land with the float planes, there is a little strip where Lance has his tent camp every year.  It is tight as it has grown up over the years (there are a few misc. parts out in the trees there from peeps who were not light on their feet) but I went in there a few times in my avid with no issues.  I think he wont be doing the tent camp this year, so that will actually open up a pretty good area that can be used to land on.  At any rate, you generally have the area to yourself, just you and the bears..  There are a few other strips up along the river also that are easier to get in and out of.  We will just have to go check them out and see how you feel about them :lol:

Lances Camp http://www.alaskafishcamp.com/index.html  Thre is a video at the bottom of his page showing the typical action there... 2 or three fish on at a time keeps the guides hopping to net them!

Posted

So--  If I don't fish and don't really hunt, is there no real good reason for me to ever come to Alaska?

That sucks.

You could always come up and do a winter trip with some flying, snowmachines, and more adult beverages than you can handle!  that seems to be where all my great ideas come from :lol:  The last great I idea I had at the lodge was to try and out drink a room full of Germans... a mistake I will likely NEVER repeat!  But you cant beat the view or the atmosphere there.. not for a million bucks !

Posted

I'm of German-Irish decent and grew up in Wisconsin.  Drinking and Green Bay Packer football are the only things we take seriously here.

:snack:    :BC:    :snack:

The pinnacle of my bucket list is to fly up there in a small plane...

Posted

Put your wheel skis on this winter and fly up!  We can make plates for the skis so the wheels dont leave ya stranded in the deep snow packing down a trail with your snowshoes! :snack:  :lol:  Great.. A guy that likes to drink and fight and talks funny... this will be a hoot :lmao:  You will be pleased to know the owners of the lodge are from Wisconsin and take the packers VERY seriously.  Even the 6 yr old boy is a darn cheese head :lol:   We did have fun a few years ago shooting the G out on the outhouse painted up in green bay colors!  More great ideas that come from the Captain :lmao: