Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon mount bracket angles

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone here who remounted their flaperons after replacing the ends of their long ribs actually end up with the bracket being at 50 degrees to the top of the rib?

When I mounted mine, after getting the flaperon staight, not binding, and reasonable lined with the trailing edge of the wing, the bracket to ribb angle varied from about 54 deg. at the butt, to about 45 deg. at the tip.

Anone have any experience with this?  See any problem?  With the twist in the wings, I don't see anyway you wouldn't end up with different angles. 

It appears that the hole drilled at the end of the rib extension is the only fairly cosistant placement for the bracket, after that you move them around to get the flaperon straight and moving smoothly.  Am I missing anything?  I'd appreciate your input and results of your alignment when flying your Avid.

Thanks,

Jackak

Posted

Jack, when I did mine on the first wing I used the book measurements and angles and of course, ended up with a binding flaperon.  So I filled in the holes, bolted the flaperon to the wing and used it as my guide for smooth operation just as you are describing.  I would run with it and not worry about it as long as it works without binding or any "caming" over action

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni.  The flaperons move smoothly in both directions, when you turn them to either limit and then release them, they move freely to the position that the weight wants to go.  Weight pointing down in this case because the wings are in a rack, trailing edges up.  

Thanks again,

Jack

Posted

Jack:

If I am remembering correctly, on my plane when I checked the brackets at the root and the tip were 50 deg. and all the ones in between were whereever they needed to be to get the flaps to work smoothly.

Posted

Thanks Mike,  I remember Steve Winder saying that you had to decide where you were going to start, either at the ends or in the middle, nothing else  worked very well.

Your comments  reminded me of that bit of advice.

Jack