Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NEED SOME TRIG HELP

8 posts in this topic

Posted

My trig tables are somewhere buried in my boxes in storage from my move from Alaska.

I have to make new strut brackets and struts since I raised my wings about 6 inches.

I am such a dummy that I don't have a clue as to how to do this with a computer.

Will someone (engineering type, maybe) figure out for me, about what angle the struts will be at now, and approx. lengths?

Any help would be appreciated.

I will try to download a diagram.

Thanks,

Ed in MOpost-399-0-54004700-1369692536_thumb.jpg

Posted

Ed, Give me a few minutes and I will run over and have one of the CAD monkeys lay it out.  It will only take him a few minutes to give you the numbers.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Ed, Give me a few minutes and I will run over and have one of the CAD monkeys lay it out.  It will only take him a few minutes to give you the numbers.

Thanks Leni,

I accidently posted this twice - why cant I find the "delete" button on this new site?

Oh Hell - now that I posted this, the danged delete button show up? :huh:?

Don't take much to confuse me! :lol:

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I deleted the other one for ya.  I dont think you can delete a topic.  You can delete a post that you have made, but not a topic.... One of the software quirks

Posted

Ed,

Front strut is 7' 11 59/64" from bolt hole to bolt hole center.

Rear strut is 8' 3 3/4"

Angle from the fuse to the strut is 62 deg. 22' 18"... or roughly 62 3/8 degrees.   I would shoot for 62 :lol:

You only have 1 deg. of dihedral ??

Posted (edited)

Ed,

Front strut is 7' 11 59/64" from bolt hole to bolt hole center.

Rear strut is 8' 3 3/4"

Angle from the fuse to the strut is 62 deg. 22' 18"... or roughly 62 3/8 degrees.   I would shoot for 62 :lol:

You only have 1 deg. of dihedral ??

That one degree is about what the manual says, I THINK? The L-19 had about 3 degrees, I think.

I will check the books on that. Believe one of my manuals calls for a 3/4 or 13/16 spacer on a 4 foot level on front spar. You can check those figures and see what the angle is.

I wonder if you can have too much / too little? Got to go read my design book again!

Your CAD guy saved me a mountain of figures - Please thank him for me.

What is your dihedral? I can always change mine before making struts, but would need new figures.

Thanks a bunch,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed,

I could not tell you what the dihedral is on mine, I am on the slope right now.  Maybe one of the other guys can go set and angle finder on their wing and let us know what it is. 

It is amazing what a good CAD guy can do in mere seconds compared to my old slide rule and pencil.. My newer laptop wont run the older cad edition I have, so I am going to have to revive an older machine at the house so I can be able to use CAD again at home.  It is a VERY useful tool for stuff like this.

I had him give me the measurements for the new float rigging and it was a blur of fingers, then the N struts appeared on the screen shoing my mount locations and the lengths I needed to set the AOA and put the step where I wanted it.  Turned out it saved me alot of cutting from my original plan and my TLAR using a level and square to try and hillbilly engineer it.  I would have arrived at the same numers, give or take an inch, but I would have also bought new strut material and made all new struts versus only having to make a new front strut and shorten the center strut.

Posted (edited)

This new computer age is a wonderful time-saver - and for some people, a time-waster too!

I checked my design book, and it said something like, "too much dihedral can cause Dutch-rolling",

and that's about all I found, except the max is probably around 3 degrees for high-wing planes.

Low-wing planes need less, according to that engineer.

The only manual I have found the dihedral in for Avid / Kitfox is my KF-1. I haven't checked the 4, and my 5 isn't complete.

The Magnum doesn't give it, or at least I didn't find it there. But, there were some measurements for setting the spar attach fittings on the Magnum, and we could figure that one out with your CAD.

Now I can have my lower fittings machined, and order some tubing for struts without getting them too short.

Thanks again,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri