Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid butt rib photo

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm trying to visualize how to run the gasline into the plane, either at the back of the butt rib or behind the tube at the front of the turtledeck. Anyone have a picture of this area?

I've got a few photos of a kitfox but there not the same as the avid

Posted

Ok fellas I still need a pic or two showing how others have ran the gas line from the wing into the cabin. I've got the wings on for good now (hopefully) and running the line from the wing inside is one of the last things I need to do.

Here's a pic of the inside of the plane during construction. You can see the raised skylight and turtledeck

Travis

post-379-0-35023200-1395621177_thumb.jpg

Posted

I can't help you with a picture of mine tonight but I have one tank that is from an Avid and one from a Kitfox on my plane. The builder had to replace the right tank and already had access to a 12 gallon Kitfox type tank so he threw that in. They are both routed slightly different because of that.. The fuel line runs through the hole right in front of the rear spar carry through on the Avid tank. This seems to work really well and with just a little slack in the line it moves in and out when folding the wings. On the Kitfox tank where the pickup is under the wing instead of in the wing root it comes up through the slightly slanted area and only about 2" in front of the rear spar carry through.

If I remember tomorrow I'll get some pictures of this for you. Hopefully the description will at least help you out, that is if you can visualize how mine runs.

Posted (edited)

I believe Kitfox said to leave about 13 inches of extra hose for folding the wing - I cant see how you could possibly need all that - I would measure with wings in both positions, and add some - you can always make it shorter, but not longer.

EDMO

If you don't get some good info, PM me and I can post on here a copy of the Magnum fuel line routing.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Travis -

I used KF wing tanks in my Avid Mk-IV so plumbing was different so, sorry, no pics from me. However, I'll take a stab at your question verbally. The following is recollection from several years ago when I saw my first ever local Avid Flyer, a Model C Speedwing w/582. The builder did a number of nice, not-in-the-manual custom touches and the fuel line routing was one of them. It looked to be a pretty clean workaround for tank sumps and fuel outlets on the underside of the tanks.

As I recall, the fuel lines ran into the cabin through a custom made grommet incorporated in the fabric just in front of and below the rear spar carry thru tube. Kind of right at the tip of the triangular side windows ahead of the vertical rear door frame post. The grommet was made of your typical circular round rubber grommet with an i.d. equal to the fuel hose. This rubber grommet had a slot or groove around the outer circumference that fit into a round hole in a small square of UHMW sheet. The UHMW sheet was sandwiched into the fabric with reinforcing tape prior to painting and looked just like it always belonged there, not some afterthought or ugly add on. The line from the right tank went thru a shut off either zip tied or somehow or other mounted to the door post with no filter into the header tank. The line from the left tank went along the rear carry through using graduated standoffs made of clear plastic tubing to ensure proper downhill slope, and thru another shut off either zip tied or somehow other mounted to the door post aside the other with no filter into the header tank.

Clear as mud, eh? 

Posted

I was out working on the plane for a few hours today and remembered to get a couple pictures of the way my fuel lines run.

The first two are of the Avid wing tank (if I remember what John told me correctly), the third is of the Kitfox tank.

Hope this helps!

post-745-0-47057100-1395710971_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-78582500-1395710972_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-92269200-1395710973_thumb.jpg