Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail wheel shimmy on Pavement

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my first experience landing on pavement last night.  Felt like the tail wheel was going to come off.  Instructor said shimmy was normal on landing for a tail dragger.  What are you thoughts to get rid of shimmy.

Thanks

Posted

1)  is the king pin (pivot point) on the tail wheel straight up and down when the tail wheel is on the ground.

2) what tail wheel do you have

3) are you using compression springs or tension springs on the tail wheel steering

4) are the chains loose or tight

5) post a pic of the tail wheel and rudder horn showing the angle its sitting at and it would help greatly.

6) are all bolts tight?

I have never had the tail wheel shimmy on my avid or the other kitfox's I have flown, but I have had it happen on a Pacer and a PA-12 when the tail wheel assembly was worn spal out and the bushings were letting it flop all over.

Posted

I have the Matco 8" single arm.  My bet is its the angle of the king pin.  I have compression springs.  Everything else is okay.

Posted

http://eaa691.org/files/Tech%20Note%20%236%20TailWheelShimmy.pdf

Check the angle on the king pin.  Mine sucks because I whacked a snow berm pretty good this winter and flattened out the tail spring.  Steering on the ground sucks, but I dont have any shimmey.  Since I am going to floats when I get home, I am not to worried about fixing tghe tail spring right now on mine.

:BC: