Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Great Airplane Gun

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I have always figured if I needed a gun for survival I would be best served by a .22 rimfire because you can pack plenty of ammo and mostly would be surviving on small game anyway.  Because of that I usually have a 22 pistol in the plane with me, along with whatever else I think I might need for protection.  Ruger just came out with a 10/22 takedown model with a soft carry case made for it.  You push a pin in front of the magazine and turn the front 1/8 turn and the barrel and forearm come off.  Very cool!  Add a quick detachable scope and/or red dot sight and it is perfect.  And it shoots like a 10/22, what else can you say. 

If you have a plane, it is a good excuse to buy the gun; if you have the gun, it is a good excuse to by a plane.

Oh, and bring plenty of duct tape too.

post-75-0-21160700-1368767402_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-35136800-1368767445_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-69374700-1368767485_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-74595200-1368767536_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-31555600-1368767576_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-76486300-1368767618_thumb.jpg

Posted

The 10/22 is a nice looking little gun. What I have been putting in my plane lately is my Marlin 39A. Although it doesn't break down as slick as the new 10/22, it can be split into two parts fairly easily, and carries 18 .22lr rounds in the tube (or 25 shorts). 

What I used to pack was my Savage 24, which is 20 gauge/ .22lr over-under. It breaks down into three pieces and stows in a little carry case. The stock has a compartment for 10 rimfire cartridges and 2 shotshells. Savage made the model 24 in a large variety of cartridge/shotshell combinations, including .410, 20 & 12 gauge, .22lr, .223, .30-30, and probably quite a few more. I have thought about finding a 12 gauge/.22 combo but have not quite acted on that thought. Maybe someday.

-Nate

Posted (edited)

Being an old "Alaskan Bush Pilot" :lol:  Isn't Everyone? :lol:

I have a very large fear of being chewed on by a big bear - The .22 is of absolutely no use for bear defense - but it would get you some proteins,

which you should have had with you anyway -

and it can attract bears - they sometimes follow gunshots to a deer kill. 

The combo with the shotgun and slugs is a good idea - but you better not miss with that single-shot. 

A riot gun would be better and real short with the pistol-grip or folding stock.  Mossbergs are cheap.

We loaded our Police shotguns with alternating slug cartridges and shot cartridges - ie: shoot a rabbit, and the next shot is a slug for a bear, or ...............

My "Co-Pilot" is the breakdown 45/70 Lever-action made by Wild West Guns, and some HOT Corbon Ammo.

And usually, a Ruger .44 mag pistol.  I think Leni carries a hand-cannon that makes the 44 look small -

To each their own insurance - Nothing is a sure thing.   In Alaska and Canada, I worried more about what is going to eat me, rather than what I was going to eat until help came.

P.S.  They frown on bazookas, but that's a good bear gun!  And Canada bars pilots' pistols!

Down here in the flatlands, all I worry about is the farmer's mean German Sheppard, and my little .22 auto pistol will take care of that.

P.S.  Nate,  I spotted collared bears once with Alaska F&G - There were 8 bears inside Anchorage City Limits, and 15 total between there and Eagle River.  THAT WAS JUST the ones with Radio collars  - THEY AINT SCARCE!  :lol:

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have always figured if I needed a gun for survival I would be best served by a .22 rimfire because you can pack plenty of ammo and mostly would be surviving on small game anyway.  Because of that I usually have a 22 pistol in the plane with me, along with whatever else I think I might need for protection.  Ruger just came out with a 10/22 takedown model with a soft carry case made for it.  You push a pin in front of the magazine and turn the front 1/8 turn and the barrel and forearm come off.  Very cool!  Add a quick detachable scope and/or red dot sight and it is perfect.  And it shoots like a 10/22, what else can you say. 

If you have a plane, it is a good excuse to buy the gun; if you have the gun, it is a good excuse to by a plane.

Oh, and bring plenty of duct tape too.

RANDY,  That plane don't look like it needed protection from SQUIRRELS - That looks like bigger Critter damage?????

ED in MO

Posted

I figure a .22 is a great survival gun. If you find yourself stranded in the absolute middle of no where, just shoot a duck with the .22 and the frickin game ranger will step out from behind a tree.... As he is writing you a ticket see if you can bum a ride home with him! :BC:

Randy, that looks like a sweet little rifle!

Posted

There are a lot of good options, all  the more reason to buy another gun :lmao: .  I like the Savage 24V, I had a .222/20 guage when I was in highschool but really only used the .222 for shooting diggers so ended up buying a bolt .222 when I got the chance and sold the 24V.  Kind of wish I still had it now.  As a survival gun combo the would be very good in a lot of the configurations.  My brother has one he had cut down to just over 18" barrels and threaded the shotgun barrel for choke tubes; a very neat setup.

Ed, I agree, there is a difference between the survival gun and the protection gun.  I also carry my .460 SW with me in the summer months and sometimes an 18" 12 ga. with a folding stock depending on where I am headed.  Would love to have a Marlin 45-70 takedown.  Maybe I am just paranoid? :ph34r:    Now let me go figure out how to do that 1000 lb weight increase to my Avid+. 

I think Leni's solution is probably the easiest.  I better add a snagging hook to my survival gear. :lmao:

Posted (edited)

Being a long-time gunsmith, and the son of one, I agree:  Any excuse to buy another gun or plane is good enough.

Since the WWG 45/70, or 457, or .500 Alaskan, takedown is priced between 1500 and 2K, the other choices may be more economical - We made one that cost $5K.  But since I worked there, I just had to build a custom one for myself.  Mine has only been test-fired at the factory, and there is not much need for it down here.  My step-son deer hunts with one. 

I had the 24V in .223 and 20 ga, with scope - liked it too.  Also had the Savage 45/70 break-action, which an Alaska State Trooper is probably still carrying now.

I used to give survival lectures to my flying group - my briefcase usually contained a .38 or .357 revolver, and hopefully it would have made enough noise to deter the wild dog or farmers dog, so I would not have to kill it needlessly.  Farmers get mad when you kill the family pet that is going to bite you badly!  It would not slow down a bear with the same thoughts!

I could talk guns all day, but guess this site is more for building and flying.

I loved what VP Cheney said when asked how many guns he had:  He said,  "I have more than I need, but not as many as I want!"

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Ed, this forum is for anything we want to talk about.. guns included! 

:BC:

Posted

FWIW, my first gun (after the Crossman .177 pellet gun) was the Savage 22/410  I killed more than my share of squirels, rabbits, ducks, quail etc with that gun.  I wish I still had it to pass on to my kids.

:BC:

Posted

A little off topic, but check this...  Link

(My father-in-law.)

Posted

Very nice!

Posted

Being a long-time gunsmith, and the son of one, I agree:  Any excuse to buy another gun or plane is good enough.

Since the WWG 45/70, or 457, or .500 Alaskan, takedown is priced between 1500 and 2K, the other choices may be more economical - We made one that cost $5K.  But since I worked there, I just had to build a custom one for myself.  Mine has only been test-fired at the factory, and there is not much need for it down here.  My step-son deer hunts with one. 

I had the 24V in .223 and 20 ga, with scope - liked it too.  Also had the Savage 45/70 break-action, which an Alaska State Trooper is probably still carrying now.

I used to give survival lectures to my flying group - my briefcase usually contained a .38 or .357 revolver, and hopefully it would have made enough noise to deter the wild dog or farmers dog, so I would not have to kill it needlessly.  Farmers get mad when you kill the family pet that is going to bite you badly!  It would not slow down a bear with the same thoughts!

I could talk guns all day, but guess this site is more for building and flying.

I loved what VP Cheney said when asked how many guns he had:  He said,  "I have more than I need, but not as many as I want!"

ED in MO

What VP Cheney said.  Exactly!   I wish I still had about every gun I have owned and a lot more I would like to have.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What VP Cheney said.  Exactly!   I wish I still had about every gun I have owned and a lot more I would like to have.

Guess he said that too - I personally heard him say the other quote - either one earns my respect.

Never thought I would be able to say this, but I have more than I need - they are just weight to keep my safe from blowing away in a tornado - don't hunt or shoot anymore - only need two for protection.

Better to sell them and go pay for a tombstone, so I can make sure they spell my name right !!!!!

I gave each of my girls one gun, and gave my step-sons and wife's grandson one gun each, and told them I would sell the rest.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Haha.  No, that was not a VP Cheney quote; nothing that profound.   That was just me talking.  :lmao:

I figure you don't always have to use them to enjoy them.  I have some I haven't shot for years but I still enjoy them.

1 person likes this