Foam Gap Seal

7 posts in this topic

Posted

So Cub Crafters has this fancy foam for sealing the elevator and rudder gaps.I've never seen it personally only in pics on their site. Chris Bolkan has talked about it a bit on the yahoo site. Expesive as all getup and Don't think it is sized for the avid gaps so I hacked something together out of marine foampost-136-0-83387600-1367156166_thumb.jpgpost-136-0-79830500-1367156214_thumb.jpg.Only flown with it once never moved. The marine foam is so lite weight and dense/rigid should stay put.Time will tell if this experiment will pan out. :dunno:  

Posted

How, and what did you use to cut the groves in the foam.  Russ.

Posted

Very cool!

Posted

How, and what did you use to cut the groves in the foam.  Russ.

Burr,router table

Posted

I like it!  A buddy found some that he uses on his Pacer and he swears by it, but he found it for experimentals someplace not the spendy cub crafters stuff.  As you said the gap in the Avids are alot less than piper so that stuff does not fit our planes.

Is it a foam rubber?  any more info on the actual type of foam used?  Any desire to make sell some?  The tape on my elevator gaps are toast and I need to replace them, and I like this idea much better. 

Thanks

:BC:

Posted

I like it!  A buddy found some that he uses on his Pacer and he swears by it, but he found it for experimentals someplace not the spendy cub crafters stuff.  As you said the gap in the Avids are alot less than piper so that stuff does not fit our planes.

Is it a foam rubber?  any more info on the actual type of foam used?  Any desire to make sell some?  The tape on my elevator gaps are toast and I need to replace them, and I like this idea much better. 

Thanks

:BC:

I'm gonna have to fly with it a bit and fine tune the dimensions and methodology of cutting the stuff to size and grooving geodetics. It called marine foam.Very dense and light.Got it at the local apoulstry shop not cheap but it doesn't take on water.They did a boat and told me they bought the last 2 4x8 sheets in Canada. How dense and rigid is the cub crafters stuff?gonna have to do some testing see how it behaves iron out the kinks so to speak.There may be a more suitable foam than what I am using, but I haven't come accross it yet.

Posted

i would be very interested in these.  I'm trying to do as many aero mods as possible to my model iv.  all the small things add up