Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

starting a sitting 582

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm about ready to start a 582 greyhead that hasnt been run in a couple of years.  Would it be wise to run some pre-mix in addition to the injector for an hour or so just to make sure everything is working and good and lubed ?  carbs have been rebuilt seals replaced etc. any suggestions welcome, I'm new to two strokes.

Thanks,

EG 

Posted

Visually chaeck the oil injection lines and make sure there is no visible air in them.  If it makes you feel better you can mix the gas at 100:1 for a couple gallons just to make sure.  When I do a start up on a new engine I will hold the oil injection arm wide open till I get really good smoke out the pipe.  This assures all air is bled out of the system.  Make sure when you hold the oil injection arm open it does not kink the cable going to the throttle mixer.  I would check the bleed screw on the RV oil too to make sure there is no air in the crank case in the RV cavity.  That can ruin your day in about 10 minutes if there is air in the system there.  Make sure the RV oil resivior is filled to the line.

Make sure you have the correct jets in the carbs per the chart for your altitude / temperature.  A little rich is much better than a little too lean.  Keep an eye on the EGT's and make sure they stay under 1200.  I dont like getting them above 1150 just to give me room for temp error on the gauge. 

:BC:

Posted

Akflyer,

thanks for you suggestions. EG