Anyone experienced with NO2?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I keep thinking about this for my Subie but I don't have any experience using NO2 so wondering if anyone on here does?  I don't want to gain 100 more hp, but looking at the kits that Jegs sells, there is a low hp kit that would give a moderate hp boost, say 15 to 25 hp.  it would be pretty easy to install by welding in a threaded port in my intake manifolds and using a NO2/mogas combi jet into each manifold.  NO2 and fuel triggered by electric solonoids with a switch on the panel right above the throttle so as you hit full throttle you could flip the switch and run it for a few minutes on takeoff only. 

If anyone has run NO2 injection, please chime in; can you run low levels like this for short periods of time without causing engine damage to an egine with basically stock internal components?  How difficult is it to get it all set up and tuned right? 

Posted

A Fast and Furious Avid???  Any idea of how much weight this might add to the Subie installation?

Posted

Randy,

I thought about doing this on my 582. I talked about it w/ my buddy Steve who builtand flew an Avid B in the 80's and has a ton of high performance experience, he flies an MX-2 currently. Plus he's an engineer and a really smart And hands on experimental kind of guy. Back in the 80's, he had an ultralight buddy flying a quicksilver that used no2 for air show work. With norm maintenance, the engine lasted as to be expected. This was on a Rotax 2 cycle. Steve summed up what the no2 is doing as basically putting 40-50 air in the air intake. So on a hot Tennessee 90 degree 90 % humidity day it cause the engine to make winter time power. Which is a huge difference for those of us down here. I have yet to install the no2. Hope this helps, Bryce

Posted

Thanks for the input guys.  I think I could do it at around 12 lbs.  So far you guys have not talked me out of it.  IA few years ago a buddy helped a friend of his rebuid a stock Dodge 340 that the guy had run with a maxed out NO2 kit on it and the guy ran it like he stole it all the time.  He had quite a few miles on it and it had a couple broken lands and rings on a couple pistons.  Actually I was pretty amazed that it didn't have more damage.  It makes me think that at reasonable lebvels and if used judiciously it would not significantly affect the longevity of a motor.

Posted

Randy,

Think you should read some input in the EA-81 Service manual posts - some warnings there.

ED in MO