Air Speed Indicator

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wondering if any of you have a reading on your airspeed indicator of like 15 when static while running the engine up to 6000. My tube is located by the strut per the plans.

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

Just wondering if any of you have a reading on your airspeed indicator of like 15 when static while running the engine up to 6000. My tube is located by the strut per the plans.

That is probably because you have the static in the cabin, and if the doors are open or leaking pretty bad you will get the ASI to jump all around. I would not worry about it till the first flight gets put on it and see how it goes. The plane tells you when it wants to fly and when it is ready to stall so a faulty reading right now will make no real difference on the first few flights... Its an Avid... It flys by the seat of the pants.

:BC:

Posted

Do you have the cowl off? How did you set up your static line?

Posted

Mine shows 25mph. The static is vented behind the panel. As Leni said Avids give all sorts of feedback through the seat and control stick. I look to see that the airspeed needle is pointed to the correct direction as what I'm feeling. Good luck, Bryce

Posted (edited)

Mine shows 25mph. The static is vented behind the panel. As Leni said Avids give all sorts of feedback through the seat and control stick. I look to see that the airspeed needle is pointed to the correct direction as what I'm feeling. Good luck, Bryce

My Ercoupe speed went from 100 to 105 when I put the windows down - it should have gone slower with the drag.

The difference was in the static pressure.

Your speed indicated can be checked against the speed on a GPS if there is no wind factor. (two flights in opposite directions)

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Joey,

I have put eyes on the plane. The static is just inside the cockpit... shit, I meant flight deck :lol: vented the same way mine is.. no cause for alarm, it be standard to see the ASI (and the VSI) changing with the opening of the doors on the ground. Same happens when I am flying with the doors open and you dont keep turns coordinated or your slipping hard for a landing.

:BC: