Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bing 54 Adjustable Carbs

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the Mike Jacober adjustable carbs. I want to make sure that mine are working properly. If I have the needles turned all the way open, how many turns should I screw them in before I start noticing a difference. The reason I ask is that at 4000 rpm I notice a change on the first turn. What kind of egt should I be seeing at 4000 rpm, 5500 rpm, 6200 rpm.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I have the Jacober sparrow needles on a dual carb 503. At full counter clock wise and 4000 RPM ststic the mixture is very rich. My engine smooths out a little on the first turn clock wise. I most often leave it at three turns clockwise where the engine is real smooth and EGTs are about 1150.

Starting from full open (Full counter clock wise) you should see the engine smooth out and EGTs rise with each turn clock wise. I seem to only need to adjust them different from three turns when the air temperature changes with the seasons. I don't think I have ever needed more than one turn either way from three.

At 6000 in level curise my egts run 1175-1200. If I load the prop just a little the EGts drop. Thus, dropping RPM to 5500 and maintaing level flight the EGTs drop.

Edited by tcj