Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon

9 posts in this topic

Posted

My flaperon is bent and I would like to know if anyone has the construction details, I can not find them in the build plans.

Posted

How badly and exactly how is it bent? Can you show a photo of the damage?

This is important to know in order to offer potential solutions.

Posted

How badly and exactly how is it bent? Can you show a photo of the damage?

This is important to know in order to offer potential solutions.

Will take pic tomorrow

roy

Posted

I'm not sure if you're looking to make a new one or just repair the one you have, if its bent towards one end to bad to be fixed you may be able to cut it off and just rebuild the bad part, I've seen a KF with one extended done in this fashion. . you could sleeve the good tube (small piece inside to allow the extension to slip over it) to extend it to the length needed then just overlap the aluminum sheeting and rivet it together. The design is really simple. an aluminum tube (2024-T3 OQ-A-250/5) for the spar some Styrofoam cut to the shape all wrapped in the aluminum sheeting, could probably use some aluminum flashing that comes in a roll for roofing from any hardware store. all of this is glued together with hysol then riveted together. as for the hinges you just need something for the bushing pressed onto the aluminum tube and the hinge goes over that. I've seen KF's with a much better hinge and I would like to build some like them for my project if anyone has pics and info for these maybe it would help us both out...Anyways sorry for being long winded here are some pics of the inside maybe they will help

-Robert-

post-352-13599233016685_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599233524394_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599235078552_thumb.jpg

post-352-1359923600063_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599236472686_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599237025448_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599237805747_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599238213764_thumb.jpg

post-352-13599240212269_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My flaperon is bent and I would like to know if anyone has the construction details, I can not find them in the build plans.

It might help if you would post in your profile where you are located - There might be a member close to you that could help you more. I have a spare flaperon, but shipping is costly - and dont know which side or model that is bent - guess I could figur this out from your first post?

ED in MO

Now I see you have an Avid - My KF flaperon wont help you.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

The pics make it look like something I could do. It is bent at the fist hinge in from the outer end on the left side facing the front. What I was thinking of doing was to cut the skin past the bend, remove it, make new skin, over lap it, put the pole back together correctly, glue it and rivit it. A 6 inch overlap should be stronger than the original sheet metal. What do you think?

Edited by rlmankins

Posted

The pics make it look like something I could do. It is bent at the fist hinge in from the outer end on the left side facing the front. What I was thinking of doing was to cut the skin past the bend, remove it, make new skin, over lap it, put the pole back together correctly, glue it and rivit it. A 6 inch overlap should be stronger than the original sheet metal. What do you think?

You could probably check AC 43.13 However if it were me I think I would cut the flapperon off as close to the bend as possible getting rid of all the bad part. Get a new piece of aluminum tubing (aprox 6" long) that has the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of your current tubing. clean it real well and apply Hysol to the first half and slip it into the original tubing. then take a new piece however long you need to add on and Hysol it onto the second half of the smaller tubing. I would say if it is inside each side by 3" it should be good. pop a couple rivets into both sides on front and back only (don't want rivets where the aluminum sheeting will touch it) then just fab up some foam blocks wrap the new aluminum sheeting (could probably bend it by clamping some 2x4's to it) and over lap it to the old sheeting by say 1" Hysol it all together and add some pop rivets to the area that is over lapped and you're good to go. make sure that the hinge is correct for the rib tail. good luck

-Robert-

Posted

Is it just the skin that is bent or is the tube bent also :dunno:

Posted

Is it just the skin that is bent or is the tube bent also :dunno:/>

The tube looks like it is disconnected at the hinge fitting, not knowing exactly how it is made rod could be broken. It looks sleeved at the hinging point, and perhaps joined inside sleeve. To repair I would make a much longer sleeve.