Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

homemade spring gear

54 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is 2nd Pazmany page of gear.  This book is $80, but worth it if you need engineering info on landing gears.

I still wish I could figure out what he put on turnover angles of main and nose gear.

EDMo

post-399-0-59980100-1389476085_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks Ed,

That shows why the wider V in the landing gear is so important to take that horizontal direction landing load.  Each axial load in the gear tubing structure has to resist the horizontal and vertical loads of the landing loads.  These have to resist in equal and oposite forces within the landing gear.  When you break these into horizontal and vertical components you see that to resist the horizontal component with a narrow V requires a much larger axial load.  That is why the single spring gear legs, like Grove gear, apply such a huge rotational load on the airframe where they connect.  The large spring gear itself is designed to take this load but it imparts it to the airframe in a narrow little space.  If you use this gear off airport, you better be sure your airframe is designed to take it.

Posted

Randy,
The Protec PT2 added braces as you see in this drawing:

post-183-0-52130900-1389575915_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

My advice is to go find a PA-18 and look closely at fuselage and measure gear.

BTW Randy - Sprecken Ze Missourish?  Just kidding, I think I know what you know you said thinking that I would think about it????

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri