SPOT pages

22 posts in this topic

Posted

OK guys,

I have been thinking (yeah scares the hell out of me too) about some of the ways we can help each other out. I can think of several instances last summer on another forum where someone twisted up a plane in remote areas and when they hit the spot help me button the contacts on their list put the word on the forum immediately that a fellow member was down and needed help. The response was AMAZING to say the least and within mere minutes guys were launching to go help a buddy out. People from far and wide were offering assistance in anyway possible.

Some of us fly in some back country remote areas and just because we bend up a bird on a bad landing or something of that nature we don't really want to call in the Coasties or any other Gov. agency that may feel the need to charge us $$$$$$$$ just because we bent a prop and needed a little help.

With all this being said, what do you guys think about the idea of setting up an AFF share page or something of that nature that we can point our SPOT devices to in the event that we find ourselves in need a little help :dunno:

Just something I was kicking around in my lil pea brain :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you may have a good plan for all pilots -

Now, in 25 very simple words or less, please tell an old Stearman pilot what the h is a SPOT, how does it work, and how much does it cost?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Leni,

That is a great idea! I am guilty of not even checking my SPOT like I should, but really need to be sure it is set up with current numbers. Mine is the old model that only sends a pre canned message or the emergency notification. How would it work through a share page on the Forum? could it dial it up as a cell phone #?

I always feel a bit nervous shutting the engine down when I am out in the middle of nowhere by myself at -15 like today. It's beautiful but could be deadly, or dang uncomfortable.

post-75-13592621633276_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

ED try this..just copy this and past it to your brouser, answers all Q, even price

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore

Leni I also have the old model

That idea would take some tension off us old guys who can't walk out

Edited by akflyerbob

Posted

Sounds like you may have a good plan for all pilots -

Now, in 25 very simple words or less, please tell an old Stearman pilot what the h is a SPOT, how does it work, and how much does it cost?

ED in MO

Ed,

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

The SPOT is a personal satellite messenger. Like Randy, I have one of the older ones that you can pre-program 2 messages into. The first one it the "OK button".

My personal message for the OK button is " I'm ok, may be delayed do to weather but don't worry bout me none". This lets your friends know you are ok and just riding out the weather or what ever and that they don't need to be calling out the rescue squad.

The second button is the help button. My message for that is, "I need ya to come get me, I done something stupid" Hit this in the case that you did something stupid, and you wont be flying home, but you dont want the gov and everyone else involved.

The third button is the 911 button that goes out the rescue center and they will notify the cops or RCC to launch a bird to come get you.

You basically go online and set up the account so it will text or email 10 friends on the "OK" or "help" button and it send a link to Google maps that shows the L&L and pin points your location on the map... this makes coming and finding your dumb ass easy. It is also cool because you may have ended up in the trees and you need them to come in and get you on sleds or something like that and they can pull up the satellite view and see just what the terrain is like, if there is a lake or something near by they can land and walk into you or what ever the case may be.

There are several manufactures out there for Personal Locator Beacons but SPOT was the first one out so alot of us got it. The unit is around 100-150 bucks and I think my latest yearly service charge was around 100 bucks. I use it in the boat, plane and snow machines or any time I am out in the woods.

Another cool feature is that you can also set it up so it will broadcast every 10 minutes and will show your route on a map page that your friends and family can pull up to track your progress on a trip. In the event of a bad crash, at least they will know where you were in the last 10 minutes and the direction you were flying so it gives a starting point to look for the smoking hole in the earth.

The newer versions can link to your cell phone via blue tooth and you can use them to send out texts etc. This would be really helpful in the event that you ding a prop or something of that nature so you can let your buddy know that in addition to flying out to get ya, he needs to bring a prop etc with him so you can do the repairs right there and hopefully both fly home!

damn, that was more than 25 words but now you have a good idea of what we are talking about!

Randy,

Nice pic!

I know that you can set up a page that people can log onto to track you, but you would still need to hit the im OK button to at least let the guys on your list know your headed out for a flight and to keep an eye on you. I hope you dont mind, but I have you on help button. I hope you never get a text from me from SPOT :lol:

I always let a few people know where I am headed and when I should be checking in, but its nice to know that you have guys on your list that will come looking for you when you hit t he button. Sending a text out to my wife that I need someone to come get me will leave her standing there with a dazed and confused look on her face. I think we have enough guys that are watching here to get the word out to the members on the list that we have a guy down and anyone on the forum that is in that area can head out to look for them. I know of a couple times on BCP that a member got a text from a guys SPOT and he rallied the troops on the forum and had a squadron headed out to pick him up in less than an hour.

Like you, when flying solo, I dont like to shut down in a remote area. I get the heeby geebies every time I do it and my relationship with the man upstairs gets a little closer just before I hit the key to start up :lol:

Posted

ED try this..just copy this and past it to your brouser, answers all Q, even price

http://www.mypilotst...om/mypilotstore

Bob, ya dont gotta be old to not be able to walk out.

If I get twisted up in a ball and tweak a leg or something it may be bad enough that I can walk out, but I also don't need an 20,000 medivac either. All I need there is a good buddy or two to come get me and we can figure out the rest from there. Kinda like my ordeal this fall... The last thing I needed was a chopper ride, I could have walked out to a runway 2 miles away or walked to the river to get picked up. Granted, it may have been a long night, but there was no medical emergency, or physical reason to get choppered out, other than the walk was gonna suck!

Get that bird on Ski's, we have some flying to do when I get home!

Posted

My Spot page

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0FpKLJrmMEs3TGFMoLCkqM7NvqdpbBW1i

Has my flight path from last weekend still on it. My wife can get on here and watch me in real time when I go cross country. I sends out a message every 10 minutes in the track mode. When away from home I send an OK message at the end of every flying day. It texts/emails 10 people and updates my facebook page with my exact location. $100 a year for the subscription. I pay more than that a month for a stupid cell plan. It's worth every penny!!

Posted

For you guys that use the spot regularly, I am wondering if you get a reliable position every ten minutes in track mode? I fly back and forth from Merril Field to Nikiski, and often times mine will only send out two or three locations. Makes me a little less sure it would get me out of a bind. Should I be trading it in on a new one, or is that typical?

Posted (edited)

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore

Thanks to all of you for educating me - I had seen the SPOT long ago in a mag, but thought it only worked with a puter, and that didnt interest me. The GPS and phone calls could be a lifesaver, or a moneysaver!

I saw lots of good and bad feeback on the site.

For anyone interested, it is on sale $99 marked down from $169 for the newer model.

Thanks again,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed,

http://www.findmespo...dex.php?cid=101

The SPOT is a personal satellite messenger. Like Randy, I have one of the older ones that you can pre-program 2 messages into. The first one it the "OK button".

My personal message for the OK button is " I'm ok, may be delayed do to weather but don't worry bout me none". This lets your friends know you are ok and just riding out the weather or what ever and that they don't need to be calling out the rescue squad.

The second button is the help button. My message for that is, "I need ya to come get me, I done something stupid" Hit this in the case that you did something stupid, and you wont be flying home, but you dont want the gov and everyone else involved.

The third button is the 911 button that goes out the rescue center and they will notify the cops or RCC to launch a bird to come get you.

You basically go online and set up the account so it will text or email 10 friends on the "OK" or "help" button and it send a link to Google maps that shows the L&L and pin points your location on the map... this makes coming and finding your dumb ass easy. It is also cool because you may have ended up in the trees and you need them to come in and get you on sleds or something like that and they can pull up the satellite view and see just what the terrain is like, if there is a lake or something near by they can land and walk into you or what ever the case may be.

There are several manufactures out there for Personal Locator Beacons but SPOT was the first one out so alot of us got it. The unit is around 100-150 bucks and I think my latest yearly service charge was around 100 bucks. I use it in the boat, plane and snow machines or any time I am out in the woods.

Another cool feature is that you can also set it up so it will broadcast every 10 minutes and will show your route on a map page that your friends and family can pull up to track your progress on a trip. In the event of a bad crash, at least they will know where you were in the last 10 minutes and the direction you were flying so it gives a starting point to look for the smoking hole in the earth.

The newer versions can link to your cell phone via blue tooth and you can use them to send out texts etc. This would be really helpful in the event that you ding a prop or something of that nature so you can let your buddy know that in addition to flying out to get ya, he needs to bring a prop etc with him so you can do the repairs right there and hopefully both fly home!

damn, that was more than 25 words but now you have a good idea of what we are talking about!

Randy,

Nice pic!

I know that you can set up a page that people can log onto to track you, but you would still need to hit the im OK button to at least let the guys on your list know your headed out for a flight and to keep an eye on you. I hope you dont mind, but I have you on help button. I hope you never get a text from me from SPOT :lol:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smilielol.gif">

I always let a few people know where I am headed and when I should be checking in, but its nice to know that you have guys on your list that will come looking for you when you hit t he button. Sending a text out to my wife that I need someone to come get me will leave her standing there with a dazed and confused look on her face. I think we have enough guys that are watching here to get the word out to the members on the list that we have a guy down and anyone on the forum that is in that area can head out to look for them. I know of a couple times on BCP that a member got a text from a guys SPOT and he rallied the troops on the forum and had a squadron headed out to pick him up in less than an hour.

Like you, when flying solo, I dont like to shut down in a remote area. I get the heeby geebies every time I do it and my relationship with the man upstairs gets a little closer just before I hit the key to start up :lol:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smilielol.gif">

:BC:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/BC.gif">

Leni,

I'm glad to be on your SPOT and need to get you on mine. Like I said, I haven't updated or checked it for quite a while and need to do that; plus start using the track function. Whatever you can do to add a spot message center to the Forum would really be great as well. I know it will be a lot more likely to connect with someone if we have more eyes on it and getting the word to those in a position to help. I have several friends who fly but a lot of them are out of state for long periods of time, or like you, work on the slope or fly commercial. It would be good to have a large notification list so that at least one may be able to help. A buddy at work has me on his SPOT and I got an email on my work computer from his SPOT this summer. He has the new model but it is very limited in # of characters you can type. He broke a TW axle bolt but I couldn't figure out what he was talking about from the cryptic text. The other bad thing was he broke it on a Friday and I got his email Monday morning at work. Fortunately the message reached another friend of his who brought out a whole TW and got him out on that Friday.

I know what you mean; no atheists in foxholes or pilots in remote areas!

All you AK Avid/Fox flyers, we really need to get all of us on a flyout this winter, and the Fishlakes lodge is a perfect setting. If Leni can set up another date we all need to do everything we can to get together on it and actually meet!

Posted

We had an interesting presentation at the EAA meeting this week.  A Delorme rep gave us a intro on the new to be introduced InReach SE; to be available in April, just in time for the AK Aviation Trade Show on 4 May.  The pictures are of the brochure.  This is the second generation of the Delorme product; it has a touch screen like a smart phone, built in GPS, built in rechargeable lithium battery and works similar to a Spot but allows 2-way texting as well as the SOS and precanned texts, plus tracking, etc.  It does not need to be linked to a smart phone to use but can be linked to an Ipad, etc.  It uses the Iridium satelight system rather than the globstar that the Spot uses so it covers AK much better.  Price is $299 for the unit and plans start at $10 per month.  I attached pics of the brochure so they are not very good but hopefully are readable.

I plan to get one and retire my Spot.  This is pretty much what I was looking for short of a Sat phone, in a self contained package and reasonable price.

post-75-0-12573800-1364541930_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-70413800-1364542082_thumb.jpg

Posted

Randy,

Thanks for sharing.  That is exatly what I was looking for.  My spot has been very spotty recently, and this looks to be a much better alternative.  One of these days I 'm going to have to get over to the EAA meeting. 

Posted

Randy,

Thanks for sharing.  That is exatly what I was looking for.  My spot has been very spotty recently, and this looks to be a much better alternative.  One of these days I 'm going to have to get over to the EAA meeting. 

Absolutely Dave; I look foreward to meeting you and getting some flying is together this year!

1 person likes this

Posted

I realize that this is an older post and mostly dominated by those up in Alaska, but did anything ever come of getting a list together for the SPOT users?

I just purchased one to put in Pursang and whatever other ferry jobs I pick up. I fly some of the craziest places out west in the mountains and deserts and really need something to be able to reach out in case of "doing something stupid". I've landed out in the desert and shut down my engine, after not telling someone exactly where I'd be, then noticed I had zero cell phone reception and that the walk would be long the engine wouldn't start again....I realize it's not smart, but I grew up out there and at least know how to survive unless I'm really hurt and immobile. Don't want to keep doing that though.

I know that we are all spaced around the entire US and in some cases, world. But even just having someone that would receive the message and then forward it on to others that might be more local to the "action" would be a great asset. If anyone wants to add me, please let me know and I'll get you whatever information you might need. I almost always have my phone with me and since I'm not working right now I have the ability to make calls, head out or do whatever other coordinating can be done.

Hopefully I'll have my tracker page up here next week and you can all participate in the Pursang journey. I plan to do a complete write up on the trip, the plane and other adventures I get into with it.

Posted

I never moved forwards with checking into a making a spot page or notification system.  It has proved very useful on another site where one person got the spot message, and posted to the group and within an hour there were lots of guys headed out to find him and help him out. 

A trip report would be way cool!  take lots of pics too! 

I will see if I can find some time to get some sort of page set up so any incoming emails would go to a notification page on here so others can see whats up and if someone needs help!

Posted

Leni,

Any way you could set up a page like that on the forum so that those that can opt in would get a text message of anything posted in that particular thread? That way the messages would be dispersed almost instantly.

I feel that anytime something like that happens if I was the one making the call I'd want quick action.

Just a thought.

Posted

That is what I have to try and look into.. I am sure if someone has the know how to code it right something like that could be set up.  but that is way above my pay grade and something I need to pose to the software developers.  I will put in a request and see how much they laugh at me.

Posted

I just upgraded my original spot to the spot 2. Best buy ran a sale a while back and I only paid $40 for it. Much smaller, lighter, and easier to use than the original. Works great.

Posted

Joey--  How effective i the "SPOT" brand unit in the mountains by you and the areas you go in Idaho?

I've thought about one of these for if/when I do any west flying (hardly needed here…) but I keep seeing the guys on BCP railing that brand due to lack of coverage.  Is this BS?

Posted

I am on Joeys spot notification list and I seem to get all his notifications when he is playing in the mountains.  As it is sky based, your spot needs a view of the sky, but I have not had any issues with the places we have used it up here.  The one time it was an emergency when a few of my buddies took their sleds off a cliff, the spot worked perfectly in VERY bad weather.  infact, it was so shitty that we ended up having to rescue the state troopers that tried to go in after the injured guy and it was 2 days before a heli could go in and get them.  The state trooper heli, life flight heli, and national guard heli declined the flight.. the coast guard finally flew in from Kodiak and got the injured guy off the mountain.  In a 12 hour period we got 3' of new snow at that location.. I dont blame the others for declining the flight, I damn sure would not have done it!

Posted

Leni,  I just checked my InreachSE to make sure I have you in my contacts list.  I need to use that thing more to send a few messages here and there just to stay familiar with it so when I really need it, I don't have to get the manual out to remember how to use it to text.  Of course it has the one button emergency as well but I sure like being able to two-way text with it through the satelight.

I would like to have others in the group here as my contacts list as well, although a state by state listing would be best so we can have the contacts that are in our own state and willing to be on a contacts help list.  Pretty hard for those guys in the lower 48 to help us in AK and vise versa but we could still make contact with other sources or pass messages if needed.

JackAk saved me last year when I was weathered in at Rainy Pass Lodge and the wind in combination with the wing covers worked until it broke the end of one teleflex cable.  Jack sent me his out on the next comercial airplane coming to the lodge and got me back in the air.  Great to have good friends!

1 person likes this

Posted

Send messages mr, Even if the message goes out to someone who does not have a plane, they can get in touch with people who do and get the word out that we have a member that needs help!