Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GUNS OF ALASKA

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was watching "Animal Planet Channel" last night and barely caught a glimpse of my ex-boss, Jim West, on an ad for a show to be aired Sunday, at 7 or 8 pm, CST. From the few seconds I saw the ad, I cannot tell if this is on that same channel or not. If someone gets better info, please post it.

If this airs, then I am sure that the take-down 45/70 lever action we made and called the "CO-PILOT" will be shown, along with other guns made by WILD WEST GUNS of Anchorage.

I have a custom Co-Pilot, with laminated, sculpured, left-hand stock that I made and might sell some day - and have the original stock to go with it. Only 18 inches long broke down.

I would send a photo to anyone interested.

Hope this turns out to be an interesting show to watch.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed,

Sounds like a neat show; I would love to watch it but don't have cable and don't watch the alphabet channels; I just got fed up with them. I may get to see it when it comes out on a DVD.

Although I don't own a 45-70 I do really like the cartridge. I had a H.S. teacher who was really into them and had about a dozen different guns in 45-70. In the Marlin and the Ruger you can really load them up. I keep eyeing the Marlin stainless with the laminated stock; a takedown of that would be very nice for the airplane gun.

Posted (edited)

Ed,

Sounds like a neat show; I would love to watch it but don't have cable and don't watch the alphabet channels; I just got fed up with them. I may get to see it when it comes out on a DVD.

Although I don't own a 45-70 I do really like the cartridge. I had a H.S. teacher who was really into them and had about a dozen different guns in 45-70. In the Marlin and the Ruger you can really load them up. I keep eyeing the Marlin stainless with the laminated stock; a takedown of that would be very nice for the airplane gun.

Correction on name of show: It is "Wild West Alaska". I saw the ad again last night.

Jim West designed the "Co-Pilot" as a Marlin 336 Takedown model, with the pistol-grip stock, and the big "John Wayne" Lever so you could work the action with heavy gloves on. Corbon made a real hot "bear-killer" cartridge for us and tested the barrels with it. There are many options available for this gun.

I made the prototype of the "Ghost-ring" rear sight for them, and there are internal action improvements too.

Mine is a little different - It is the G-model with a ported barrel, and satin stainless plating. I sent the stock model to Fagen in Missouri and they made the Green-Brown Laminated stock blank for me.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Check this out tonight, WILD WEST ALASKA, ANIMAL PLANET CHANNEL, Sunday at 7 CST, and I'm sure Jim West will introduce you to some big Alaska critters, and your protection to haul in the plane - He was flying a 175 on floats when I worked for him, and had a Lodge at Copper River.

ED in MO

Posted

Correction on name of show: It is "Wild West Alaska". I saw the ad again last night.

Jim West designed the "Co-Pilot" as a Marlin 336 Takedown model, with the pistol-grip stock, and the big "John Wayne" Lever so you could work the action with heavy gloves on. Corbon made a real hot "bear-killer" cartridge for us and tested the barrels with it. There are many options available for this gun.

I made the prototype of the "Ghost-ring" rear sight for them, and there are internal action improvements too.

Mine is a little different - It is the G-model with a ported barrel, and satin stainless plating. I sent the stock model to Fagen in Missouri and they made the Green-Brown Laminated stock blank for me.

ED in MO

Interesting Ed I worked with this guy(Jim West) back in the early 80's here in Wyoming at a rathole drilling outfit.

Posted (edited)

Interesting Ed I worked with this guy(Jim West) back in the early 80's here in Wyoming at a rathole drilling outfit.

Jim had a few other "interesting" lives - He worked on the pipeline as a crane op - and had blasting license.

I made Harpoon barrels in my machine shop, as subcontract to him, and we flew to Barrow where I fitted them to the Whaling Captains Harpoons - they didnt speak American, so had to have an interpreter - Learned a lot that trip.

Jim was champion pistol shooter - real dead shot! - good inventer - and certainly makes money and has fun.

I have another story about him and a whale and some dinamite in Barrow - but not now -

I miss beng there with him and Ken and gang.

Wish SuberAvid Randy could have seen the show - we were just talking about the guns under the wings, and they had the same settup on an ATV.

Maybe you should give him a call sometime - his website has the phone number.

Ed in MO

I drove thru Wyoming from Crazy Horse Mountain to Little Big Horn in 2007 when going to Alaska to move my shop and planes down to Mo.

Edited by Ed In Missouri