Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Adverse Yaw

12 posts in this topic

Posted

When banking into a turn, does the AVID hold its bank correctly when the ailerons and rudder are returned to neutral or do AVID's typically need back pressure to keep it from rolling over. This question assumes that the plane has no building mistakes.

Thanks for you comments.

Posted

When banking into a turn, does the AVID hold its bank correctly when the ailerons and rudder are returned to neutral or do AVID's typically need back pressure to keep it from rolling over. This question assumes that the plane has no building mistakes.

Thanks for you comments.

The early ones had more adverse yaw. There's a mod out there called the F7A mod which changes a couple pieces in your mixer to help alleviate it.

Here's a link to when I did it

Posted

They hold the turns pretty well, but without the F7A in the mixer, you do have to use alot more rudder. The original design gave you more down flaperon than up setting up lots of adverse yaw. it was nothing that was not easily overcome, but alot of spam can drivers who dont know how to use thier feet didnt like it. They came up with a new arm for the mixer (F7A) that gives more up flaperon than down and that takes out ALOT of the adverse yaw.

Do you have any time in an Avid or Kitfox? They are easy to fly, but VERY light on the controls compared to probly anything you have flown before. There are enough of them running around the area that we should be able to hook you up with a ride in one if you would like before you take yours up the first time.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

They hold the turns pretty well, but without the F7A in the mixer, you do have to use alot more rudder. The original design gave you more down flaperon than up setting up lots of adverse yaw. it was nothing that was not easily overcome, but alot of spam can drivers who dont know how to use thier feet didnt like it. They came up with a new arm for the mixer (F7A) that gives more up flaperon than down and that takes out ALOT of the adverse yaw.

Do you have any time in an Avid or Kitfox? They are easy to fly, but VERY light on the controls compared to probly anything you have flown before. There are enough of them running around the area that we should be able to hook you up with a ride in one if you would like before you take yours up the first time.

I will sure need some time in one before testing mine - if I ever get finished - Too much time in other models, and hardly any in the Fox for too many years. Hopefully, someone in Missouri will offer a ride someday.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The early ones had more adverse yaw. There's a mod out there called the F7A mod which changes a couple pieces in your mixer to help alleviate it.

Here's a link to when I did it

Where do I purchase the mod?

Thanks for the reply.

Posted

Where do I purchase the mod?

Thanks for the reply.

It is possible that since yours is a MK IV that you may have it from the factory. If not, you can get it from Brett at Airdale. If you can post a picture of your mixer behind the seat I can tell you if you have it or not.

Another quick way to tell. The two arms on each side that look like a bell crank... The normal one is just a straight threaded piece with rod ends on it. The F7A is round tubing, bent in the middle and has ends welded to it for the heim joint rod ends.

Posted

I will sure need some time in one before testing mine - if I ever get finished - Too much time in other models, and hardly any in the Fox for too many years. Hopefully, someone in Missouri will offer a ride someday.

ED in MO

It is not twitchy at all, just light on the controls. If you are used to flying heavier planes, the first thing you will notice is how they bleed energy! With your heavier engine it may not be quite as bad, but on the lighter ones, when you pull the power, you are coming down NOW. light weight and high drag make for a plane that will bleed energy FAST. When I pulled the power abeam the touchdown point at pattern altitude, flying a normal pattern for say a 172 or a PA12 I would end up REALLY short of the runway.. like I would have hit the trees on base leg.

The good news is it works great for getting in short over an obstacle! Just be ready to use power all the way to the flare till you get your approach pattern figured out.

As far as flying the 2 stroke. Prop pitch and mixture will dictate your EGT's Keep them at 1100 to 1150. When you are in cruise, you MUST pull the power back to decend. If you dont, and you let the prop drive the engine, your ETG's will shoot up to melt down point RIGHT NOW. If you drop the nose, pull the power!

Let that engine warm up GOOD! dont get into the throttle till you get it up to 140 atleast.

EGT's are not known for being accurate, but they will show you a TREND. The final authority on wether your mixture is set right is your spark plugs! You want them to be a nice tan color. Best way to get a plug reading is to warm the engine up good, then shut it down and put new plugs in it. Fire it up and hold it wide open throttle for a minute then pull the power and shut it down immediately. dont let it idle. Pull your plugs and look at them. Dark or black and your too rich, white your too lean.

Your prop needs to be set to the proper pitch also. If you are looking for climb, then you want to be able to turn 64-6500 RPM on take off. With the IVO prop. a static run up of 6150 -6200 will give you right at 6500 or maybe 6550 at take off. Too much pitch and your EGTs will be low even if your running a lean mixture. Too little pitch and your EGTs will go through the roof pretty much no matter what you have the needles set at.

I will be up at biglake to pick up my sled from my cousins house on the 17th. If you want I can swing by and meet you.

Posted

Here is a pictures of my little bird. Just got the strobe and position indicators installed last night. Hope to be 100% complete within a week. Also have belly pod, skis and floats. Ready for the great Alaska adventure. Right?

Also, from what I understand, the idle should be set at about 1800 to 2000 rpm. Is that correct?

Thanks

Nice looking bird - Color can be spotted about anywhere - but what is that black rod sticking out from the strut attach to the ground? Never saw that before.

ED in MO

Posted

Nice looking bird - Color can be spotted about anywhere - but what is that black rod sticking out from the strut attach to the ground? Never saw that before.

ED in MO

That is my anti-collision brake. Just Kidding :lmao: That is the brace to hold the wings when folded.

Posted

That is my anti-collision brake. Just Kidding :lmao: That is the brace to hold the wings when folded.

Neat - does it attach to strut when folded - I dont think you fly it sticking out that way - never saw one before - the Kitfoxes just have the braces that tie to tail.

ED in MO

Posted

Neat - does it attach to strut when folded - I dont think you fly it sticking out that way - never saw one before - the Kitfoxes just have the braces that tie to tail.

ED in MO

The black brace is removed before flight.

Posted

ED in MO

The wing lock back brace bolts or pins to the wing at the strut attach point, and just in front of the horizontal stab. yes it is removed before flight :lol: I use pins and a safety pin type key so I can take them off. I had the pop out of the little chicken shit holders on the tail and they rubbed a hole in the covering in one flight. Now I remove from the plane and put them in the baggage area when they are not holding the wings locked back.