Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Intercom placement / Strobe Housing

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I am new to the AVID group and was curious where the best placement would be for the intercomm system that the headphones plug into.

My second question is a wingtip strobe system. Currently the plane has 1 1/4" round strobe housing on the end of each wing tip. The depth of the housing is 1 1/2". There are zenon tubes installed. The CPS strobe driver is so old that it has quit working. Any suggestions for a replacement that can use the three wires already in the wing tip housing?

Thanks.

Posted

I am new to the AVID group and was curious where the best placement would be for the intercomm system that the headphones plug into.

My second question is a wingtip strobe system. Currently the plane has 1 1/4" round strobe housing on the end of each wing tip. The depth of the housing is 1 1/2". There are zenon tubes installed. The CPS strobe driver is so old that it has quit working. Any suggestions for a replacement that can use the three wires already in the wing tip housing?

Thanks.

My jacks are in the panel on each side of the plane. There just wasn't a great place to mount them other than the panel. Not sure on the strobe driver.

Where do you fly out of? There are quite a few of us in the Soldotna / Kenai/ valley area that like to get out and play.

:BC:

Posted

My jacks are in the panel on each side of the plane. There just wasn't a great place to mount them other than the panel. Not sure on the strobe driver.

Where do you fly out of? There are quite a few of us in the Soldotna / Kenai/ valley area that like to get out and play.

I will be flying out of Wasilla / Big Lake once I get everything certified. Would like to hear some input on the flight characteristics of the AVID beforehand if you are willing. I have the AVID Heavy Hauler with rotax 582.

Thanks

Posted

I will be flying out of Wasilla / Big Lake once I get everything certified. Would like to hear some input on the flight characteristics of the AVID beforehand if you are willing. I have the AVID Heavy Hauler with rotax 582.

Thanks

I fly into biglake quite a bit visiting my cousin, or when I am making supply runs to the lodge.

I have a C model HH with the MK IV upgrades, so we are flying virtually the same machine. If you have never flown an Avid or Kitfox before, the only real issue you may have is the adverse yaw from the flaperons. You have to use your feet, but once you get the hang of it, it is a non issue. It is very light on the controls compared to any plane I ever flew before.

Are you familiar with flying a 2 stroke? If not, there are a few things you need to know to keep the pilot cooling fan turning! I am willing to talk about anything just let me know what your experience level is with the 2 strokes and we can go from there!

Posted

Can't help with the strobe but I have my battery powered intercom box mounted on the tubes that form a V down between the rudder peddles. It's kind of hard to reach but stays out of the way. I don't have to turn it on unless I have a passenger.

Posted (edited)

In my Avid MKIV I had mine mounted in the same place. It was a good out of the way location and no problem once the squelch and volume was adjusted but a little hard to reach when belted in. With the space available in the Avid I think it is one of the better locations. I think an overhead location would be bothersome to me.

I have the battery bowered intercom box also but wired it into the airplane power.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted (edited)

I fly into biglake quite a bit visiting my cousin, or when I am making supply runs to the lodge.

I have a C model HH with the MK IV upgrades, so we are flying virtually the same machine. If you have never flown an Avid or Kitfox before, the only real issue you may have is the adverse yaw from the flaperons. You have to use your feet, but once you get the hang of it, it is a non issue. It is very light on the controls compared to any plane I ever flew before.

Are you familiar with flying a 2 stroke? If not, there are a few things you need to know to keep the pilot cooling fan turning! I am willing to talk about anything just let me know what your experience level is with the 2 strokes and we can go from there!

Not familiar with the two stroke. I do have the in flight adjustable carbs. Any information you have to avoid stoppage would be great. Just got the idle set at 2000 rpm. Heard that improper idle adjustment can be disasterous.

Also, feel free to stop by and take a look. I need to get ready for the DAR and it would be helpful to get a once over to be ready.

Thanks

Edited by Avid Heavy