Welded a hole closed !

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had my fuselage inverted scotch-briting and cleaning and found a very poorly welded over hole in the headrack tube out near the tube where the wing bolt goes through. It had signs of contamination in the weld and was what appears to be a poor cover up of a cut-off wheel getting into the tube....so out with the weld by grinding and re-welded the tube area with my TIG. The question is have I done any damage ? The area in question was about the size of a dime or a bit largere when all the pitting was gone and re-welded. I will check to make sure of the wing fitment this week. I guess that they thought it was out of sight- out of mind thing. Just worried that welding the tube with just filler {ER70-S2} added may have weakened it somehow? It would be a real PITA to replace the tube end as the wings have been fitted to the fuse and the four magic holes drilled.....

What do you guys think? Have not found anything other than tube repair methods like splice/cap over methods approved in the "Book of accepted methods". On that note...should I have applied a half sleeve?

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

Hey Treetop,

My concern would be with the quality of weld, was the correct weld penetration achieved? The fuselages were not heat treated. My fuse and I'm guessing every other fuse was mig welded- nothing special weld wise. Good luck, Bryce

Posted

I would not loose one seconds sleep over your repair.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

There might be a consern if it were the rear mount

I have a picture of a gusset being welded under the

rear fus attachment because some have cracked/broken

because of trailering without the wing support.

I think Snapp sent me the pic

Edited by akflyerbob

Posted (edited)

It is the back tube !! Oh crap. Now what. I have been working on this for almost 2 days now in my head... and sleep. I have a builder in the neighborhood that I am going to visit tonight and see if he will come up to my place and have a look see. Just want it to be safe. Not really enough room to make a proper sleeve or capped repair per the manual. I will look into putting a gusset of sorts in there to beef it up. I am ready to paint....all but this. The thing that gets me now is how many of these things were / are being shipped out from out there with no remorse or warning? Guess it is like the wife says....it is what it is..... Fix it or scrap it. Glad it was not powder coated....that would have hidden a multitude of sins. Thanks for the replies...I need some food for thought.

Akflyerbob I did not get to see the pic you have there.....

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

tree top, how about a picture of what you are talking about so we can get a better idea of just what you are talking about.

Posted (edited)

OK Here is a pic of the tube. I probably should clambshell this area...or at least a gusset of some strength. Fuse is upside-down .

post-341-13512015669303_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

OK Here is a pic of the tube. I probably should clambshell this area...or at least a gusset of some strength. Fuse is upside-down .

thats not the tube I was thinking of.. yeah, I would be thinking about a gusset on that one, or a 2 piece sleeve. the factory welding is not very impressive on that one.