Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spark Plug Torque

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Need advice on spark plug torque. I noticed in the 582 manual that it calls for 240 in/lb for the spark plugs. That seems awfully high. Is that setting correct?

Thanks

Posted

My manual also states 240 in.lb Russ.

Posted

I can't confirm the number but many people are used to Ft/Lbs not IN/Lbs. 240 IN/Lbs is only 20 ft/Lbs maybe this is why it seems so high.

Posted

I can't confirm the number but many people are used to Ft/Lbs not IN/Lbs. 240 IN/Lbs is only 20 ft/Lbs maybe this is why it seems so high.

Excellent, I knew I had my info crossed somewhere. Thank you.

Posted

NGK plugs have a crush washer on them. You can feel it snug when it crushes down. I always back mine back out after this occurs and then torque them. Has anybody else noticed that their 582 get's hard to start when it's time to replace them? I landed the other day to hit a restroom and my damn plane wouldn't fire back up. I swapped out one plug on the front that I can get to without pulling the cowling and it fired right up. I've had this before and after new plugs it fires right off again with one revolution of the prop. Seems 30-35 hrs is about what a set of BR8ES's last for me.....unless I'm running on 100LL that number goes down.

Posted

NGK plugs have a crush washer on them. You can feel it snug when it crushes down. I always back mine back out after this occurs and then torque them. Has anybody else noticed that their 582 get's hard to start when it's time to replace them? I landed the other day to hit a restroom and my damn plane wouldn't fire back up. I swapped out one plug on the front that I can get to without pulling the cowling and it fired right up. I've had this before and after new plugs it fires right off again with one revolution of the prop. Seems 30-35 hrs is about what a set of BR8ES's last for me.....unless I'm running on 100LL that number goes down.

I have noticed that. 99% of the time, the issue is with plug gap. My plugs dont need to be cleaned but regapping them solves the hard starting. The ducatti ignition really does not like much over .016" for a plug gap. .018" max.

:BC: