Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tachometer

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Need help with a tachometer issue. I have the rotax 582. The gray wiring coming from the stator is for the tachometer. Hooked it up and the needle flys over to 8000 rpm when the motor is running at 2000 rpm. Any thought on this? Do I need a resistor in the line?

Thanks

Posted

If you are using the Westac #2AT8A-2-6, there is a yellow wire on the back that needs to be cut if reading about 3 time actual rpm.

Russ.

Posted

If you are using the Westac #2AT8A-2-6, there is a yellow wire on the back that needs to be cut if reading about 3 time actual rpm.

Russ.

Hi Russ,

I have the Westach 2AT8A-2 688 tach. It is hooked to a ducatti dual ignition on a rotax 582. There is a single grey wire from engine through firewall into cock pit. There is a #2 pin and a #5 pin. I do not see a yellow wire. Only the black ground wire from tach to frame ground and the grey wire from magneto housing are going to the tach. I am puzzled about how to make it work correctly.

THanks

Jeff

Posted

Hi Russ,

I have the Westach 2AT8A-2 688 tach. It is hooked to a ducatti dual ignition on a rotax 582. There is a single grey wire from engine through firewall into cock pit. There is a #2 pin and a #5 pin. I do not see a yellow wire. Only the black ground wire from tach to frame ground and the grey wire from magneto housing are going to the tach. I am puzzled about how to make it work correctly.

THanks

Jeff

Jeff the yellow wire om my tach is at the #3 hole. I am attaching a instruction from westach. Russ.

post-83-13510026901441_thumb.jpg

Posted

The best way to make it work correctly is to pitch it in the trashcan. I have yet to see a needle tach that read accurately. Many people have dealt with frustrating tuning and prop pitching including myself due to a false tach reading. As an alternative get a tiny tach. It's dead accurate, digital, small, light, cheap, and doubles as an hour meter. You wrap one wire around a plug wire and ground it. Done deal.

http://tinytach.com/

Back to your original issue I have also seen the stator put out bad signals to the grey wire. That is where the innaccuracies come from and sometimes the signal is totally unusable.

Here is a good example of how far off mine was. I never even knew this for a long time. I had my prop pitched to read 6500 rpm on the ground on the needle tach. In reality I was barely make 6000. 500rpm on takeoff with a 582 makes a HUGE difference!!

IMG_0765.jpg

Posted

Joey is right, toss the mechanical tach and use a tiny tach. The rotax tach seems to be inline with the dream-o-meter speedometers that Skidoo uses :lol: The only ones who dream bigger than skidoo are yamahahahahaha. :lmao:

Make sure you wrapp the lead for the tiny tach around both spark plug wire to one cylinder so you will be able to check the mag drop from one to the other.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replys. Just found out my tach will not work. I just ordered an RV-1 Tach. I also have the Tiny Tach as a back up.

Thanks

Edited by Avid Heavy