Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Battery for ea81

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I was wondering what size ( cranking amps) and type of battery you guys would recommend for my avid with the the ea81 soob in it,probaly be flying in some -20 C temps in the winter time, thanks for any input.

Posted

I was wondering what size ( cranking amps) and type of battery you guys would recommend for my avid with the the ea81 soob in it,probaly be flying in some -20 C temps in the winter time, thanks for any input.

I was hoping and waiting to read what some more knowledeable person might write, like SUBERAVID in Alaska - Since none have written so far, my best guess is the Odessey 680 or larger - depends on where you are putting it, and how much weight you want too.

Look up this one if you dont get a better answer.

ED in MO (Winter Soob flyer too, Someday - above 32F or 0C)

Posted

The PC 680 should do fine for your suby. It stars 032 and 0470 engines all day long up here in the winter. Most of the guys that have gone to the firewall mounted batteries in C-180/185 use the 680 as well as 90% of the cub drivers I know up here.

I flew a PA-12 last week that has a 680 in it and did not have any issues starting it.

:BC:

Posted

The PC 680 should do fine for your suby. It stars 032 and 0470 engines all day long up here in the winter. Most of the guys that have gone to the firewall mounted batteries in C-180/185 use the 680 as well as 90% of the cub drivers I know up here.

I flew a PA-12 last week that has a 680 in it and did not have any issues starting it.

:BC:

Perfect, thanks for the reply guys , I'm not exactly sure were its going to end up yet but want to get a decent battery to start with

Posted

I use the PC680 in mine and it starts it just great in the summer but I have had issues in the -20 winter that I think I finally figured out is the master solonoid rather than the battery. The solonoid does not like to connect oin the cold temps. I don't know if there is an internal lube or if it freezes but it will not trip. It has even done this to me when I land and shut it down just for a short time. I have been carrying a jumper battery with me and when I resart it with the jumper battery the voltage fluctuates pretty wildly for some time and then it will just settles and holds a steady voltage. I am sure that is when the solonoid finally trips and makes the connection to the battery. I will either have to try a different solonoid or will just insert an air activated MyCoal heat pak in on the solonoid when I fly in the winter. I still will pack the jumper battery with me in the winter until I am sure.

Posted

I use the PC680 in mine and it starts it just great in the summer but I have had issues in the -20 winter that I think I finally figured out is the master solonoid rather than the battery. The solonoid does not like to connect oin the cold temps. I don't know if there is an internal lube or if it freezes but it will not trip. It has even done this to me when I land and shut it down just for a short time. I have been carrying a jumper battery with me and when I resart it with the jumper battery the voltage fluctuates pretty wildly for some time and then it will just settles and holds a steady voltage. I am sure that is when the solonoid finally trips and makes the connection to the battery. I will either have to try a different solonoid or will just insert an air activated MyCoal heat pak in on the solonoid when I fly in the winter. I still will pack the jumper battery with me in the winter until I am sure.

Thanks for the reply Randy ,I am also trying to fine out about going with a lithium battery haven't got a model or price yet for it. Hope you figure out that gremblin in the solinoid :beerchug: