Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NAV lights?

36 posts in this topic

Posted

if I don't install nav lights before my inspection can I still add them later and be approved for night VFR flight or do I have to have everything approved now? I'm wanting to be approved for night flight but would like to save the money now and just get into the air so I was hoping I could just run the wiring and install inspection rings so I could do the actual install at a later date. If and when I do purchase them does anyone know of a good unit that won't break the bank but will still work with our low output engines thanks

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

if I don't install nav lights before my inspection can I still add them later and be approved for night VFR flight or do I have to have everything approved now? I'm wanting to be approved for night flight but would like to save the money now and just get into the air so I was hoping I could just run the wiring and install inspection rings so I could do the actual install at a later date. If and when I do purchase them does anyone know of a good unit that won't break the bank but will still work with our low output engines thanks

-Robert-

I couldnt tell from your photos if you have the mount for the lights on your wingtips - if not, you should add it now.

Believe the operating instructions you will have will say, "night flight when properly equipped", or something like that, so you can add the lights and any other needed instruments later on to make it legal with only a logbook entry, IMO.

Look on ebay for used wingtip lights - believe I just saw a set there. You can replace the old bulbs with the new LED bulbs which dont take much juice.

Dont forget to add a mount for a taillight on your rudder if you are not going to pay a high price for the tip lights with the taillights on them. And, figure out your strobes, which are manditory, as is artificial horizon, etc.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed, I have actually looked for used lights but never thought of getting some cheap ones and replacing the bulbs with LED's to make them work for me. I will have to look into this. I don't have any mounts on my wing tips yet but I don't think it would take too much to add them just need to know which lights to go with. Do you happen to know where it says in the FAR's that I can add them later?

Posted

I picked up a used set for mine off ebay for 50 bucks. I had to put new bulbs in them and I think they were around 20 bucks each. I had to make some mounts for mine in the wing tips so you will want to do that before they are covered. I will get some shots of the mounts I glassed in for mine put up here this evening. lots of filling and sanding with kitty hair filler to get them frenched in nice and smooth but they looked good when done.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ed, I have actually looked for used lights but never thought of getting some cheap ones and replacing the bulbs with LED's to make them work for me. I will have to look into this. I don't have any mounts on my wing tips yet but I don't think it would take too much to add them just need to know which lights to go with. Do you happen to know where it says in the FAR's that I can add them later?

Best to rivet and glue the mounts before you finish. Grimes lights (get the streamlined ones), or newer lights will fit it.

Believe I just saw some grimes lights on airplane parts on Ebay for $50.

Joe Norris at the EAA sent me a copy of the newest operating limitations which they are recommending everyone to use, and AC20-27G - I dont have them available right now, but that is what it says. I believe it is on the sign-off sheet for Phase 1 or 2 also.

They are also recommending anyone to copy those limitations and change to them because it lets you do modifications or major repairs without a new FAA airworthiness inspection, if I understand it right.

BUT - I think to change your old limitations to the new ones, you will have to go to your FSDO and maybe get a new inspection.

If you are fresh building - get a copy of these and do it now before your inspection.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Robert,

You can read, download, pdf print, AC-20-27G on the FAA site. Think this is the latest for op. lims. and home-built rules.

ED in MO

Posted

Best to rivet and glue the mounts before you finish. Grimes lights (get the streamlined ones), or newer lights will fit it.

Believe I just saw some grimes lights on airplane parts on Ebay for $50.

Joe Norris at the EAA sent me a copy of the newest operating limitations which they are recommending everyone to use, and AC20-27G - I dont have them available right now, but that is what it says. I believe it is on the sign-off sheet for Phase 1 or 2 also.

They are also recommending anyone to copy those limitations and change to them because it lets you do modifications or major repairs without a new FAA airworthiness inspection, if I understand it right.

BUT - I think to change your old limitations to the new ones, you will have to go to your FSDO and maybe get a new inspection.

If you are fresh building - get a copy of these and do it now before your inspection.

ED in MO

p.s. If you cant get the fiberglass mounts from Avid, I have a set I bought from Kitfox, think about $12? Want to keep them, but can go try them on the Avid tips I have for sale which already have the mounts on them.

ED in MO

Posted

p.s. If you cant get the fiberglass mounts from Avid, I have a set I bought from Kitfox, think about $12? Want to keep them, but can go try them on the Avid tips I have for sale which already have the mounts on them.

ED in MO

Ed that would be great if you can see if they fit the avid tips and even take a couple pics if you can.

Thanks Robert

Posted

Ed that would be great if you can see if they fit the avid tips and even take a couple pics if you can.

Thanks Robert

OK - May take me 3 or 2 days. Leni may have some photos too?

ED in MO

Posted

Going to try to attach a photo of Avid Tips with one nav light mount riveted and glued and the other just glued on, with the white Kitfox mounts which look like they would work on an Avid wingtip. Sorry, I havent learned to resize - matter of fact, I havent learned much about putting photos on puter or much of nutten else - Just glad I can turn puter on & off !post-399-13443008534374_thumb.jpg

ED in MO

Posted

Thanks for the photos Ed, I was going to make them but for 12 bucks I think I will just give KF a call

Posted

Thanks for the photos Ed, I was going to make them but for 12 bucks I think I will just give KF a call

Make sure you are sitting down when you call KF - wouldnt want you to faint if the price has doubled. I bought mine a long time ago.

good building. Yes, good thinking to check out tinted skylight material before you spend money.

ED in MO

Posted

Ed. FYI the KF fiberglass light mounts are now 12.25 ea and will require a bit of modification to fit the Avid tips but still easier than making from scratch, when I get them mounted I will post up some pics. also I saw you had rivets on the ones in the photos. do you think the rivets are necessary or would the hysol and fabric over everything be enough. Seems to me it would look a bit cleaner without the rivets.

-Robert-

Posted

Ed. FYI the KF fiberglass light mounts are now 12.25 ea and will require a bit of modification to fit the Avid tips but still easier than making from scratch, when I get them mounted I will post up some pics. also I saw you had rivets on the ones in the photos. do you think the rivets are necessary or would the hysol and fabric over everything be enough. Seems to me it would look a bit cleaner without the rivets.

-Robert-

The two I have were made by someone else - One has rivets, the other none - I would just sand and glue - you might use a heat gun to form them for a better fit, but sand after heating, and use Hysol to blend the edges too.

Sure glad I couldn't buy the lights for you!

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Robert,

I was bored tonight and searched on Ebay auto parts / LED lights - there are about 200,000 posts. Saw some 15 LED WHITE

Back-up lights which look like they might replace your Grimes bulbs - Like 9.98 a PAIR - lots cheaper than those in Spruce if they will work.

Think I have a pair of LED lights at the auto parts store spotted - triangle, streamlined, going to check them out for taillight - wILL SEE if they flush mount - maybe could be mounted just aft of the position lights on wingtip - that is legal too -

If I buy them I will post a photo for you.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

@Robert - I have a set of the Avid supplied standoffs but need the KF ones, wanna trade?

Posted

@Robert - I have a set of the Avid supplied standoffs but need the KF ones, wanna trade?

Less work for both of us heck yea, shoot me an e-mail rob_hast@hotmail.com and we can exchange shipping info

Posted

Robert,

I was bored tonight and searched on Ebay auto parts / LED lights - there are about 200,000 posts. Saw some 15 LED WHITE

Back-up lights which look like they might replace your Grimes bulbs - Like 9.98 a PAIR - lots cheaper than those in Spruce if they will work.

Think I have a pair of LED lights at the auto parts store spotted - triangle, streamlined, going to check them out for taillight - wILL SEE if they flush mount - maybe could be mounted just aft of the position lights on wingtip - that is legal too -

If I buy them I will post a photo for you.

ED in MO

I was talking with a friend the other day who also thought that you could replace the bulbs with automotive bulbs, if you find one that works before I do let me know, I'm still waiting for the lights to arrive in the mail.

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

I was talking with a friend the other day who also thought that you could replace the bulbs with automotive bulbs, if you find one that works before I do let me know, I'm still waiting for the lights to arrive in the mail.

-Robert-

I have seen the backup light bulbs I described on Ebay at the local autoparts store, but I think at a higher price. Dont know if they are single contact or double contact, but believe single, and ground thru the copper base - think your Grimes is single also. The other concern is the size of the light part - will have to measure both to be sure. Believe they will pull 5 watts, LEDs usually pull .3 amps each, (I think) where your Grimes pulls 13 watts each - there may be dimmer auto LED bulbs that pull less power.

Ed in MO

edit: Looking in Spruce for LED bulbs - they claim only .2 amps for the $32 bulbs - maybe my figures above are way off - sometimes I get my amps and watts mixed up in memory - News said today that red wine helps old brains to function - going to store for some...!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Robert, sounds like everything is working great for you. You and Doug can swap parts, and I didnt get to bid up the price on your lights, LOL. Maybe Doug can help you in finding cheap wire.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Less work for both of us heck yea, shoot me an e-mail rob_hast@hotmail.com and we can exchange shipping info

Will do. I'll dig them up and post a pic first just to make sure they are what you're after. These were supplied with my Avid+ kit, should be the right fit for alll Avid fixed tips.

[edit] pics

post-53-1345747825893_thumb.jpg

post-53-1345747828317_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

Will do. I'll dig them up and post a pic first just to make sure they are what you're after. These were supplied with my Avid+ kit, should be the right fit for alll Avid fixed tips.

[edit] pics

Looks good to me as long as they fit the basic avid tips, the KF ones I just bought could be made to fit with a little work but hey why do the work if I don't have to. I got them all boxed up and ready to ship just need an address.

Thanks Robert

Posted (edited)

Robert, I ordered two 12 LED back-up bulbs today - will try them in the Grimes and let you know if they work. Missed the 15 LED, but saw a lot of 19 and 24 Led bulbs and larger - will let you know how this goes $17 for pair w/free shipping.

I have the strobe attachment on my lights, but dont know what brand of bulb and what power supply to buy for them. Will try to post some photos of bulbs later on so maybe someone can identify them for me. They do not look like Whelen tubes, so could be Grimes or Aeroflash.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Robert, or anyone,

If you can pull a Grimes position light bulb out of its socket, please look at the bayonet pins and see if one is located higher than the other, or if they are at the same location. Right now I cant find my lights which have been packed away since my move from Alaska.

The 12 LED bulbs I ordered are compatable with a 1156, or 1056 - dang, cant remember which - anyway, this is the back-up light bulb on older cars with the bayonet base, and not the newer type plug-in base. Also, they should be single contact, and not double contact like the 1057 or 1157 taillight bulbs.

I want to compare the pins on the LED bulbs with Grimes, so that we will all know if they are interchangeable.

Also, if you could measure inside of a red or green lens for diameter and height, I can compare that to the LED bulbs. May have to grind off some of the clear plastic housing that covers the LEDs to make it fit?

Should take a week or so for me to get the LED bulbs by mail - so no rush on this request.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

CHECK OUT MY LED post in Technical posts.

ED in MO