Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Updating Garmin 196

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Have been looking for a used Garmin 196 and have seen several advertized. Most I think need software updates. About how often are updates needed on those and how old is too old for your last update?

Posted

Have been looking for a used Garmin 196 and have seen several advertized. Most I think need software updates. About how often are updates needed on those and how old is too old for your last update?

If you are just using it for basic navigation the terrain really dont change much. If you are using all the other functions and you are getting your airport info etc off the GPS then you may want it updated. I dont think I have updated my 295 is 6 yrs or so, but I only use it for ETA info etc. I still pull out my sectionals for airport info if I am going into a strange one.

:BC:

Posted

The 196 uses a serial port and is no longer supported by Garmin for updates. I just traded mine in on a 396 recently. My database was 2 years old and worked just fine. Some airport info changes occasionally but if your depending solely on your GPS for that kind of info your wrong in my opinion. In an emergency it'll still show you the field and in that case who cares what you call it or the frequency if there pavement available. I flew with that 196 for 7 years plugged into a cig lighter with zero issues. Granted it's pretty dated now but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if your budget doesn't allow for a newer model.

Posted

The 196 uses a serial port and is no longer supported by Garmin for updates. I just traded mine in on a 396 recently. My database was 2 years old and worked just fine. Some airport info changes occasionally but if your depending solely on your GPS for that kind of info your wrong in my opinion. In an emergency it'll still show you the field and in that case who cares what you call it or the frequency if there pavement available. I flew with that 196 for 7 years plugged into a cig lighter with zero issues. Granted it's pretty dated now but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if your budget doesn't allow for a newer model.

QUESTION: My flying friend has another brand of land-use GPS and he says it wont work in his plane.

I have a Garmin Nuvi and fly lots of roads - will it work, or does it need an antenna in a plane?

I like to have it to get around on the ground. Havent tried it yet in a plane.

ED in MO