Oshkosh

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody going to Airventure this year? My wife and I will go out Saturday and stay until the next Sunday. We will be camping on the private land across from the Ultralight runway. The flaperon party is at the seaplane base, Thrusday at 12 o'clock.

Posted

I'm going up Wednesday w/ my buddy in his Rans S6. Will be over for the Flaperon Party! Bandit, are you flying over? Bryce

Posted

I'll be there in my usual camping place, same as last year, Mark. The camper will come over on Saturday also through the following Sunday.

I'm planning on flying my Kitfox over too, most likely parking in the UL area. High on the list to be at the "Flapperon Society" convention on Thursday at the Seaplane Base.

Posted

Anybody going to Airventure this year? My wife and I will go out Saturday and stay until the next Sunday. We will be camping on the private land across from the Ultralight runway. The flaperon party is at the seaplane base, Thrusday at 12 o'clock.

I will be there 7/21--7/29/12. Camping at the UL as usual. Looking forward to seeing you all again. Russ. N844RS

MK IV HH WIB Gear.

Posted

I just flew off the remaining couple of test hours on my Model III today. I'm planning to be up on Monday morning early if the weather cooperates. I'm also camping across from the UL area as well.

For those who park by the UL area, do you land at the UL strip, or follow the regular Ripon arrival?

Posted

Paul - For the last three years I've been flying into the ultralight field with my plane and parking there. I won't be doing that this year. I will do the "Ripon" arrival and show a "UL" sign to get parked down on the farm.

The ultralight strip is no longer safe, in my opinion, for a higher energy plane like mine. The trees on the north end are too tall and you must make a blind right turn (really bad in a Kitfox) into the field. The south end isn't much better.

Posted

Thanks Larry. That's what I'll do then. I didn't really want to miss the grand entrance my first time flying in.

Posted

I'm hoping to park down near the food tent close to the "general" parking so that I can come and go a little easier.

I'll save a spot near or next to me for you... :beerchug:

Posted

Paul- I have never flown into the UL field but I think that is excellent advice. We can see the UL strip clearly from our camp and every year I watch folks trying to get into the strip that really shouldn't. Sure the LSA demo pilots who've done it countless times over the years make it look easy but, unless you're in something really slow, you will need to be spot on your game. Larry is right, those trees are getting real tall and the UL pattern can get very busy with all different kind (and speed) aircraft when the strip is open. Of course, the large crowds watching at the fences critiquing each landing don't help either. In contrast, the conga line from Ripon is fun, with either a straight shot or standard pattern in and a H-U-G-E runway at the end. Only real issue is to quickly clear the active onto the grass so the guy behind doesn't end up yours. On occasion, the Ripon arrival can be a real adventure. At busy arrival times, the planes are getting pretty close and you will be on the lower altitude with faster aircraft passing overhead. Seems like there are planes everywhere. First time through I remember thinking -Holy S#!t- this must be like the WW1 pilots felt like with their head on a swivel! Being in a slower aircraft, be prepared to do a 360* for spacing. Having an experienced right seat is a big help first time through but as long as you understand the NOTAMs it shouldn't be a problem. And don't be bashful when you get the ground call to rock your wings, you gotta represent the Kitfox community!

Have fun! :)

Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience. Fortunately I'll have a right seater spotting for me and I'm all practiced up on my 360's. My only concern is I'm pretty hard pressed to get much over 80-85 mph. I guess that's more of a concern for the folks bunched up behind me. I'm hoping to hit the approach pretty close to 7 AM on Monday so I'm guessing traffic won't be at it's peak yet.

Posted (edited)

I found photographic evidence of me at Airventure on YouTube!

I was taxxing out when that big fat-assed C5 took off!! That's some scary wake turbulence off that thing! (See :37-:43) The idiot flag waver wanted me to turn onto that intersecting taxiway right away too. I refused...

At 1:31 in this one, too!

Edited by Av8r3400