Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

900hrs. TT

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I just hit 900hrs. TT on my Bandit this last weekend. My 503 has been running great over those hrs. I am going to wait until later this fall to overhaul it, if I'm still going to use it. Still debating whether to use the 582 grayhead FWF package I bought last winter. I am not sure what advantage the 582 would be. 95% of my flying is solo and local, so the 503 has worked fine.I'll talk to people out at Oshkosh and make a decision this fall. If I keep my 503 I am going to sell the 582 FWF. When I pull the engine I would like to figure out how to install a 3 piece windsheild. This will be th 3rd one I have installed. As usual it is cracking on the bend as it wraps around the side. Tryed heating it and then bending it around, I thought this would releive the stress but that didn't work either.

Posted

I just hit 900hrs. TT on my Bandit this last weekend. My 503 has been running great over those hrs. I am going to wait until later this fall to overhaul it, if I'm still going to use it. Still debating whether to use the 582 grayhead FWF package I bought last winter. I am not sure what advantage the 582 would be. 95% of my flying is solo and local, so the 503 has worked fine.I'll talk to people out at Oshkosh and make a decision this fall. If I keep my 503 I am going to sell the 582 FWF. When I pull the engine I would like to figure out how to install a 3 piece windsheild. This will be th 3rd one I have installed. As usual it is cracking on the bend as it wraps around the side. Tryed heating it and then bending it around, I thought this would releive the stress but that didn't work either.

Question: Are you using the real .090 LEXAN, or some off-brand? I'm hearing that the off-brands are cracking.

ED in MO

Posted

Bandit, Congrats on the 900 hours! What work have you done to your 503 in that time? I have heard that Mike Jacober flew them for 2000 hours, so I'm thinking the 503 might be the recoed setter when it comes to TBO in 2 strokes.

Posted (edited)

Bandit, Congrats on the 900 hours! What work have you done to your 503 in that time? I have heard that Mike Jacober flew them for 2000 hours, so I'm thinking the 503 might be the recoed setter when it comes to TBO in 2 strokes.

I knew Mike too - He sure didnt baby his rotax - set some altitude records before he was killed in a crash.

Of course he had an excellent maintence shop at Birchwood.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

When I talked to Bud Gish, he said that he flew the trikes with Mike and did the maintenance on them ( Bud and Lance did most of the maintenance). They routinely ran the 582's to 2000 hrs with nothing more than a plug change and a leak test on the engine and seals when the leak test dictated it. Of course, they used the inflight mixture control so it was always a good burn with no carbon build up.

:BC:

Posted

Congrats Bandit! I just a met a guy with 3800hrs on his B model. Did you get the email I sent you?

Posted

At 300hrs I had LEAF overhaul it. Of course they replaced the crank,pistons, rings, bearing ect. 600hrs I sent it to the Ultralight Place in Il. and Jim Leon did the work. He did not replace the crank so I have 600hrs on this crank.They did replace the pistons rings,bearings ect. He did have to bore the sleeves. I did have him go through the carbs and the gear reduction unit also. I may have been a little cautious with my engine, but I think it has paid off in the long run,because I have had no trouble with it. Years ago I sent my carbs to Mike to have him convert them to the manual mixture control. I think it was the Artic Sparrow Mixture control system. That sure has been a great modification. Not sure if anybody does this any more. Joey I did not get your e-mail.

Posted

Bandit Private message me your email or number I have some info to pass on to you

Posted (edited)

At 300hrs I had LEAF overhaul it. Of course they replaced the crank,pistons, rings, bearing ect. 600hrs I sent it to the Ultralight Place in Il. and Jim Leon did the work. He did not replace the crank so I have 600hrs on this crank.They did replace the pistons rings,bearings ect. He did have to bore the sleeves. I did have him go through the carbs and the gear reduction unit also. I may have been a little cautious with my engine, but I think it has paid off in the long run,because I have had no trouble with it. Years ago I sent my carbs to Mike to have him convert them to the manual mixture control. I think it was the Artic Sparrow Mixture control system. That sure has been a great modification. Not sure if anybody does this any more. Joey I did not get your e-mail.

Just got to ask: How much is an overhaul with replaced crank?

What about a 912 - How often and how much?

Yes, Mike's plane(?) trike, was the Arctic Sparrow.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

For a 912, you will have $5-8k into a full overhaul. The TBO for the new motors is 2000 hours. I know of 912 motors north of 3000 hours and still running fine without ever having the reciprocating assembly worked on.

Bandit could speak further, but the 2-strokes can be overhauled for less than $1k with a crank, I think. TBO is 300 hours.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

For a 912, you will have $5-8k into a full overhaul. The TBO for the new motors is 2000 hours. I know of 912 motors north of 3000 hours and still running fine without ever having the reciprocating assembly worked on.

Bandit could speak further, but the 2-strokes can be overhauled for less than $1k with a crank, I think. TBO is 300 hours.

My 600hr overhaul cost me $1,098. 84. They replaced both pistons,Oil seals,plug connector,belt. Included service to disassemble 503, B-gear box, Mic and measure all componets. Clean and decarb. Test all electrical componets. Adjust pre-load on B-gear box. Rebuild carbs, and hone cylinders. They did not replace the crank. New cranks are $1000.

Edited by Bandit