Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fun-Fun

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Let's face it, just what percentage of the folks they interact with actually drop the big bucks for a new kit? Personally, I would find it hard to force a smile every minute of each day under similar circumstances, particularly after I've put those big 'ol 'Please Do Not Touch!' signs on the chains across the door openings... :rolleyes:

In this competitive of a market at a place like Arlington it should not matter how bad it gets! Bottom line they are there to sell kits and promote their product.

I've had multiple personal interactions with the McBeans at both the factory and in the Idaho back country. I went to the factory fly-in last year and I couldn't wait to leave. Not my kind of crowd. I just called a week ago asking about bearing numbers for the Douglas set up and the response I got was..."We stopped using those on kits years ago" Okay.... so what about the hundreds of Foxes out there flying that are still using them? I love these little airplanes but if I were to be investing thousands of dollars in new kit tomorrow it wouldn't be with Kitfox..... :stirthepot:

Posted

Yeah Joey, I get the impression that the factory crowd can be more than a little 'cliquey'. I don't much care to visit as I don't play well with a 'my-shit-don't-stink' crowd. Based on the comments re: the TKF post, neither do many others, lol.

While my personal interactions with John have been mixed as noted earlier, I am still appreciative of what support Kitfox does give to existing owners (similar parallels to the 'new' Airdale). My experience is that they are still supporting the KF4 and up models fairly well. At least they did have everything I needed and that's what I read, which makes sense because they did produce a run of KF4 Classic kits recently. I'm much more disappointed that they chose to simply sell off the earlier KF 1-3 parts inventory acquired from Skystar and manufacture only a few compatible, expensive and high margin items like wing tanks, etc. With 5000+ kits sold, there is a lot of demand for replacement parts in that KF 1-3 / Avid A-D community and my experience parting out my KF3 proved that. I got parts of that plane in more than a dozen states and three countries!

Anyhow, I suppose we can second-guess their decision to abandon support of models they don't produce to focus on S7 kit and S-LSA sales, but I'm sure they have a better grasp on the industry segments and related profit potential than we do. And, I suspect, limited resources to re-start and run their new company in both a tough industry and very challenging economy. I may not like that from the aircraft owner's side of the fence, but as the business owner investing my assets I most certainly would go where the highest probability of return on investment was. Reality is, they'd rather produce and sell one S7 kit than a bazillion separate, individual parts for the same profit margin. It appears to be paying off, judging by the kit manufacturer rankings and a several month lead time tossed about recently (assuming it's accurate). I do think they are having a hard time in their pursuit of S-LSA sales.

Again, I am not condoning anyone's gruff take-it-or-leave-it business practices or -in the story given- John's too quick to chastise attitude. Remember too, there are always two sides to each story. Perhaps John's reply sounded a bit tepid because the guy minimized his own bad behavior and John was hesitant to give him a public forum tongue-lashing in hopes of salvaging a sale. Who knows? Simply saying I personally would neither have the patience to step into those shoes nor much appreciate anyone "touching my junk" so to speak. And I suspect most here would not be terribly patient if someone disregarded their 'Do Not Touch' signs either.

It's all just piss 'n vinegar to me, no biggie. I know we have a pretty good collection of head strong personalities here too... :beerchug:

Posted

It's all just piss 'n vinegar to me, no biggie. I know we have a pretty good collection of head strong personalities here too... beerchug.gif

The hell you trying to say??? :snack: your wrong Mr. :news: !!! :lmao:

Sorry, just had to lighten it up a bit! You do make some very valid, well thought out points... and early in the morning too, that is double damn impressive :lol:

:BC:

Posted

The hell you trying to say???

Terms of Endearment buddy. :) No limp wrist shrinking violet pushover pilots allowed here! :beerchug:

Posted

Every time I call Kit Fox I set there hoping "Deb" answers the phone

John does have a way of making "you" think you just ask a stupid question.