Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

fuel primer for 582

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just had another fuel primer fail so I could not get the 582 started since I do not have the enricheners hooked up.

I have always used the type of primer that came with the original 532 engine kit for my Kitfox.

I have always used the plunger type of primer and am curious if the button type that is mentioned on the Rotax site is better?

The button type looks like the rubber could fail and you could have a cockpit fuel leak.

Is there a better option for a primer?

Seems like the primer I have been using is inconsistant and you never really know how many pumps it will take before it actually squirts in the carbs..

The primer on our Piper Pacer is always consistant and does not need to be primed before it will pump.

Thanks Herman

Edited by herman pahls

Posted

Why not hook up the enricheners and use them as the motor was designed?

My motor is a 912, so a total different situation. But, there are people using primers instead of the enricheners on these too. I could never figure out why. I have never had my engine fail to start in the cold weather while ski flying. Even after the plane has sat for several hours without preheat...

Posted

I've had two of the plunger types fail me Herman. I just replace it and move along. Are you turning on your main fuel shut off before you prime it? I know mine will just suck air unless my main is on. My current one is getting really stiff for the first couple times I pump it then it will shoot a big shot in there. I pump mine maybe twice which really gives it about half a shot then I pull it out and crank it and the second it fires I push it in. That technique has worked pretty good for me.

My 503 only ever had a choke (enrichener)and it would start on the 2nd pull every time whether it had sit two days or two months. The only advantage a primer has I think over the choke is starting when it's super cold out.

Posted

The inverted engine likes a bit more of a shot of fuel than the enricheners will give it, especially when cold.

Posted

The inverted engine likes a bit more of a shot of fuel than the enricheners will give it, especially when cold.

There you have it!

Posted

The local A and P had a box of salvaged primers so the price was right.

This might be the first certified part on my Kitfox.

I will report how it works out.

Thanks Herman

Posted

I installed the certified aircraft style primer tonight and it worked great immediately.

I did not have to pump it a number of times to prime it like I did with the Rotax plunger type.

Attaching the 1/8 inch prime tubing is not as simple as it is with the barbed fittings on the Rotax primer.

Herman