Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 was over heating

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, here is another stupid pet trick that you can file away for possible future use. When I rebuilt the engine and stuck it back in I started having over heating issues. I put in new thermostat, new coolant recovery bottle checked it all out time and time again, had buddies come look at it etc.. Well she has been sitting at the airport for awhile so yesterday I decided to go out and work on it and see what I could figure out. Here is what it was doing to me. I would fire it up and let it warm up, when the temp would hit 140 I could watch the gauge and see the thermostat open and temps would drop back down as fluid started circulating. The thermostat would cycle about3 times then steady out at 150 to 160. A full power runup and she would drop down to around 140. Perfect! Take off and about 10 minutes into the flight she would start creeping up to around 180. If I didnt get her back on the ground quick she would blow coolant out the overflow bottle. This thing has been pissing me off for a few months now and life has been busy anyway so I didnt fly much this winter.

So, here is the stupid part... Yesterday the sun was shining, temp was around 45 and it was time to get the plane home so I could work on it. I did a quick check under the cowling and sumbitch, there it was, hit me like a ton of shit. When I put the engine back in, my dumb ass put the overflow line to the recovery tank and the bypass line for the water pump on backwards. The waterpump bypass was feeding in on the top side of the radiator cap. WTH? I swapped the lines around and in 2 minutes my overheating problem went away.

Lesson learned here. When doing things that are so routine DO NOT get complacent. I had the book sitting right there next to me when I put the engine in the plane, but I had done this so many times that I didnt need to use the book to double check my work. I can do this with my eyes shut right??? WRONG. Double check you work!!

OK, so now that I feel stupid, I am still happy I have my bird back and I can go tear up some sky as soon as I get my heater hooked back up and install new fuel lines and filters!

:BC:

Posted

My father was a gunsmith, machinist and toolmaker. I was raised in a machine shop. When I got my toolmaker apprenticeship, an old toolmaker wisely told me, "Everyone makes mistakes. The secret to being a good toolmaker is to be able to fix your F-UPs before anyone else sees them." Of course, we often warn others about the mistakes "we have been told about or seen".

Congratulations of fixing your F-up all by yourself. (and warning others)

Ed in MO

Posted

Leni,

Which cowling and radiator were you using when she was running cool?

Jack

Posted

Leni,

Which cowling and radiator were you using when she was running cool?

Jack

I have the belly mount and cowling from you on it.

Posted

HI Leni:

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, but I really wanna know when you are going to get that horsepower barking artic cat sled motor horseshoed under the cowling and start really chewing some holes in that Alaska sky?! :flamegun:

Mike

Posted

HI Leni:

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, but I really wanna know when you are going to get that horsepower barking artic cat sled motor horseshoed under the cowling and start really chewing some holes in that Alaska sky?! :flamegun:

Mike

I am kicking myself in the butt for not having it done already! Last kid graduates next month, then its time for me to focus on me and the toys instead of the kid's! :lol: