Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Developing Firewall Forward

6 posts in this topic

Posted

There's a Kitfox 4 partially completed kit on Barnstormers that I came awful close to buying yesterday but I called Kitfox about firewall forward kits and became just kinda disgusted at their prices. The typical Zenith FWF kit for instance is about $2500. Kitfox wants $4295.

So. Some of you guys are doing Subaru installs, VWs and what not. Are you modifying a manufacturer's kit or pretty much gong it alone? In the old Tony Bingeles books from EAA he shows how to build a cowl for instance. I imagine with the carbon fiber pre-pregs that are out there now, that his process might be kinda fun. I'm a pretty decent welder with quite a lot of industrial experience. I resent like hell paying $700 for a dang engine mount.

So, here's a new thread to argue about. What do you guys think?

EB

Posted (edited)

There's a Kitfox 4 partially completed kit on Barnstormers that I came awful close to buying yesterday but I called Kitfox about firewall forward kits and became just kinda disgusted at their prices. The typical Zenith FWF kit for instance is about $2500. Kitfox wants $4295.

So. Some of you guys are doing Subaru installs, VWs and what not. Are you modifying a manufacturer's kit or pretty much gong it alone? In the old Tony Bingeles books from EAA he shows how to build a cowl for instance. I imagine with the carbon fiber pre-pregs that are out there now, that his process might be kinda fun. I'm a pretty decent welder with quite a lot of industrial experience. I resent like hell paying $700 for a dang engine mount.

So, here's a new thread to argue about. What do you guys think?

EB

You didn't say what engine you are planning to use.

Try RAM or Stratus for a Soob EA-81 mount pricing. There may be others, like Eggenfelner who make Soob mounts. Reductions is gone.

If you are determined to weld your own, I can send you photos of mine, but it was originally for a Pelican. Maybe someone with a KF can?

I modified my firewall to fit the mount. Check Barnstormers or the Kitfox forums to find one.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

You didn't say what engine you are planning to use.

Try RAM or Stratus for a Soob EA-81 mount pricing. There may be others, like Eggenfelner who make Soob mounts. Reductions is gone.

If you are determined to weld your own, I can send you photos of mine, but it was originally for a Pelican. Maybe someone with a KF can?

I modified my firewall to fit the mount. Check Barnstormers or the Kitfox forums to find one.

ED in MO

Well the project I was looking at is gone today. I knew it would go in a big hurry. I was thinking about actually putting a Simonini or a Rotax 670 in it. The airplane was designed for the 912 but when you pencil whip one of those you end up in the used Rans territory. There's a tri-gear HH near Springfield with a grey head in it that's near ready to assemble but he's wanting $13500 for it. There's a FLYING one in Alberta for $1500 more. In my situation it's a no brainer. Go for the flyer.

EB

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

Brett at Airdale might have engine mounts for sale. The 670 takes the same engine mount as the 582; the blocks are identical but the 670 has to have the block bored to mount the redrive since it is a snow machine engine. Also it has single ignition but it can be converted to dual and you can use the 582 head for the dual plugs. I flew mine with single ignition.

Posted (edited)

Brett at Airdale might have engine mounts for sale. The 670 takes the same engine mount as the 582; the blocks are identical but the 670 has to have the block bored to mount the redrive since it is a snow machine engine. Also it has single ignition but it can be converted to dual and you can use the 582 head for the dual plugs. I flew mine with single ignition.

I have a 532 mount for sale - Does it fit the 582?

Also, FWF 532 with instruments, nose tank and rad, round cowl.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have a 532 mount for sale - Does it fit the 582?

Also, FWF 532 with instruments, nose tank and rad, round cowl.

ED in MO

Yes the 532 will bolt up to the 582, the mount is the same.

:BC: