Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pop rivets-Stainless steel or Cherrymax

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Seems a -4 Cherrymax would help to stregthen the spar attach and doubler fittings. I can't locate a strength table on the stainless pop rivets supplied. Anyone use the max rivets instead ? Just looking to make a bit safer/stronger. I will try and get a scale for a pull test and see what it takes to shear the supplied fasteners this week.

Posted

Along those lines, where can you get the bid headed pop rivets that hold the windshield lexan in place? The regular Avex rivets have a small head, same with store bought aluminum pop rivets.

Posted

I've picked up the large headed rivets at a fasteners store and at an aircraft parts house. I think Piper or one of the other manufacturers used them for fastening the wing fabric to the ribs. Might try Aircraft Spruce too.

Between using the two part adhesive and the stainless rivets, I've never worried about the spar doublers on my Avid. The upper doubler on the front spar has nine rivets along with the adhesive attaching it to the spar. Plus you have the lower doubler aiding in keeping the wing attached to the carry-through.

Jackak

Posted

I've had good luck with theses guys. Reasonable prices, fast delivery, and any rivet available you could ever want including all aluminium large head blind rivets.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/

Chris Bolkan

Posted (edited)

Along those lines, where can you get the bid headed pop rivets that hold the windshield lexan in place? The regular Avex rivets have a small head, same with store bought aluminum pop rivets.

If you can't get the big heads from Spruce, then try MSC, or Grainger. I have been buying them from Grainger because it is local. I prefer #8 screws in Lexan, with rubber washers, so you can keep the stress off of the Lexan.

Note:

The Avid Magnum specs add an extra row of stainless rivets in between the rows on the strut attach fittings.

I have never heard of a failure of the stainless for KF or Avid, but the people at either company would know more about that.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri