Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cabane gear installed

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Finished installing my new gear from Brett tonight. Test flew it right before dark. I got 4 landings on it before i quit. post-56-13133773653159_thumb.jpg

post-56-13133774049051_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Bandit any tips during the install? I have mine ready to go on just need to find some time to do it. How did you like it? Did you do any measuring on prop clearance before and after?

Posted

Looks real good, Mark!

Awaiting your flight reports...

Posted

Didn't measure the prop clearance. Brett said it is 2.5" taller and 11" wider. The height has a noticable difference sitting on the ground. The ground handling is completly different. You need alot less rudder work now, seems to track much straighter now. Takeoff was straight forward. The first couple landings I just flew it on to the runway or wheel landed it. Rollout was straight and no work to it. Last 2, I full stalled it with no problem on roll out. All 4 landings were done with no flaps, but some power. On the 2 full stall landings I didn't feel the tail wheel touch first. I would suggest landing with power on until you get used to the different attitude of the airplane on landing. A noticeable difference. I might have lost a little on cruise, just a bit more drag I think. The install went great. Took my old gear off and gladly threw the bungee's away. Fit the new gear to the airframe. I did have to grind 1/8" off of the left rear bushing to get it to fit in the gear mount. I also had to hone out the axle housing, but no big deal. Now I can remove the axles by hand as I turn them in or out. Removed the gear and painted it and reinstalled it. Used the same wheel spacers as the old gear. I might have to check the brake alingment. I don't have much for brakes, but I guess I never did. The only disadvantage I can see is I added a few more lbs. to my airplane. This gear is much stiffer than the old. It looks like the spring compresses about 1/8"-3/16" on the ground. Oh one more, now I have a really nice trailer for my airplane and it doesn't fit on it anymore. It looks like it is going to be a good investment.

Posted

Sounds like I am in the same boat. My trailer is not going to work without some mods. I'm worried about losing some cruise also. I'm already slow and getting slower which sucks because alot of my playgrounds are hundreds of miles away. Guess we will see. McBean sells some fairing that fits over a 1" tube that is designed for Kitfox struts that might work.

Posted

Finished installing my new gear from Brett tonight. Test flew it right before dark. I got 4 landings on it before i quit. post-56-13133773653159_thumb.jpg

Looks really great. I should have auctioned them off at Oshkoshfrech11.gif Russ N844RS

Posted

Bandit can you measure your wheelbase for me from the outside of your tire to the outside of the other tire when you get a chance? I wanna see how much modding my trailer is going to need.

Posted

Looks great Mark, it really changes the appearance and attitude of the plane for the better IMHO. And it's good to hear that function definitely follows form as well, Lord knows it ain't exactly one of the cheaper upgrades. Now I'm really curious just how wide that track is too, it seems a lot wider on the plane than on the picnic table!

Posted (edited)

Joey, Im going back over Sunday, I'll get you the measurements. Flew tonight again. I did something with my Avid that I had never done before the gear change. I started taxing from one end of the runway to the other and never once put my feet on the rudder pedals. My tach read 3000rpm, airspeed indicated about 32 mph, I could get directional control with the flaperons, left input turned right, right input turned left. I did this for 3600', with no wind conditions.

The wheel base with my tundra tires is 82.5". The clearance with my IVO 3 bladed 66" prop is around 19".

Edited by Bandit

Posted

The wheel base with my tundra tires is 82.5".

Wow, that is wide! With Matco W62 6" wheels and 8.00x6 tires, the track on my Avid+ with Airdale's W.I.B. gear measures 75" wide from tire center to center.

Posted

Bandit is that from the outside of the tire to outside or center to center?

Posted

Outside to outside.

Posted

Outside to outside.

Thanks for the info and vid Bandit!! My trailer is 84" wide on the deck sweet!!

Posted

Bandit where did you drill your axle for the retainer bolt? Also what technique did you use to drill the left and right legs backing plate to the calipers in exactly the same place on both sides? Thanks

Posted

Bandit where did you drill your axle for the retainer bolt? Also what technique did you use to drill the left and right legs backing plate to the calipers in exactly the same place on both sides? Thanks

Measured the hole in the axle,marked it on the gear tube, then installed the axle in the gear tube. Drilled a small hole first and made sure I was lined up right, then switched to the proper sized bit and drilled through the small hole into the existing hole in the axle, then through the other side of the gear tube. I mounted my calipers at about a 45 degree angle rearward. I thought it might protect it from grass and weeds a little more. I just eyeballed the holes on the mounting bracket with one of the gear tubes, then marked, punched and drilled the holes. Did the same on the other side. Not sure if both sides are exactly the same, but they are real close.

Posted

Thanks Bandit! I have brand new axles so no holes at all. I zoomed in on your pics and could see where you put your bolts. Trying to drill clear through right there on that weld might be pretty tough. I'll figure something out. I was gonna work on it today but the weather was gorgeous so I went flying instead. I have a couple weekend trips coming up so I gotta quit screwing around and wrap this project up.