3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey y'all, Turbo here.  3 years ago sold my Avid. Now flying Corvair-powered Sonex.  Can't complain about 3.5 gph at 125 mph.  I only land on tarmac, though.

When I had the Avid, I fed it ethanol-free premium, like I feed my chainsaws.  All went well until my first set of Bing carb floats sank!  I bought  new ones, but even they eventually sank!  And I noticed that my epoxy gas tank was softening!  I started wondering what bizarre chemistry was in that fuel.  Got a clue much more recently, which I feel compelled to share.  It could be due to ethanol!  Many times, so-called ethanol-free gas really isn't, not due to any oil company shenanigans, but simply because many gas stations dispense  ethanol-free gas from the same hose as the other grades, and the last guy who hosered up may have inadvertently left some 10-% ethanol, 87- octane gas in the hose!  My advice (really from Chicanic) is to, after selecting the ethanol-free stuff, first put a half- gallon of gas into your car, then start filling those gas cans.  This clears out the hose.

FWIW, Guys. Take care, and fly safe,

Turbo

Posted

Another point is don't trust the gas station not to have alcohol contamination in their supposed clean fuel.

An easy way to test is with plain food coloring.  Put a sample of fuel in a clear container and add a couple drops of food coloring and mix it.  If it turns the fuel colored that means thee ethanol dissolved the water based die.  If the food coloring just makes a droplet in the bottom and doesn't mix, you have clean fuel.

2 people like this

Posted

Duuh! Just asked Google if ethanol dissolves epoxy.  Answer is Yes!  We all know it's bad for 2-strokes.  So put that first half-gallon to full gallon in your car's tank first!  

Turbo