Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gear swap...again

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Received my new spring gear from Brett today. Hoping to get it installed soon. I will post pics of the install as I go.

Newgear.jpg

Posted

I am anxious to hear what you think of them when you get them on. The look like a lighter way to go and no bungee replacement will be nice!

Posted

I am anxious to hear what you think of them when you get them on. The look like a lighter way to go and no bungee replacement will be nice!

Your right Randy... if it werent for the springs they would be super light! I've got them hanging up outside now. Going to bead blast them and try to get some primer shot today.

Posted

Got the gear bead blasted, primed, and painted today. Now onto pressing in the axles and drilling the backplates out. Gonna take a little time to get it on. Can' wait to see how it handles.

Posted

Pressed the axles in today. They were no match for a 25 ton press! The Kirfox manual shows 4 1/4" from the backing plate to the end of the axle so I started with that. Next step is to tear down my current set up and get a real good measurement and mark and drill my holes. It should go together fairly quick after that. Too bad I am headed on an Iraq run on Sunday :(

Posted

Grabbed this shot off my phone. Make sure you understand how the gear works and where it moves before you paint it. I had to take mine back apart and take the paint off the inside of one tube.

paintedgear.jpg

Here's some nice shots Brett sent me of his airplane.

He tapped the backside of his axle so he could use a bolt for a jacking point. I just left the extra inch of my axle sticking out.

Brettgear2.jpg

Brettgear1.jpg

Brettgear3.jpg