Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Radiator

2 posts in this topic

Posted

The Avid has an airworthy radiator and it shed 3.5 lbs! More room for hamburgers!  The original copper radiator needed a new core so, it was time to shave more weight in the engine department.  It is a Subaru NSI power plant.  The custom aluminum core radiator with beautiful tig welds and correct sized inlet and outlet pipes sure stand out.  The aluminum radiator weight came in at 5.1 lbs compared to the copper 8.6 lbs, and that weight is located at the fire wall!  I have to admit the radiator was a bit pricey, but I have one critical part I feel a lot better with.   Same dimensions as original. 9” tall x 24” wide, 2” deep 3 core.

Next the instrument panel gained two 6oz layers of fiberglass to strengthen the center of the panel.  I have decided to install the GRT MiniX EFIS (Sport EX was over kill), Appareo transponder w/3i and ICOM VHF/Intercom.  For the engine the original VDO analog engine instruments operated just fine, and will be reused including the (nicely marked speeds taped) airspeed indicator as a backup.  I still haven’t nixed the Uavionics AV30, due to it’s size and capability.  Any remarks on that?  

I also found a colleague at our airport (KMYF) who has been building a Kitfox Model 3.  The airframe is completed, but no engine.   Nice work, but he is about 90 years old and has been working on it for 20+ years.  He said the entire kit was about $6000 from the factory, so my plan is to help him with the Rotax 912 ULS.  I would love to see him fly the required hours off it!

Pictures to follow shortly.  

3 people like this

Posted

Hi Doug,

Do you have photos and cost for the radiator and new exhaust?  

Wondering if they will fit my NSI Kitfox 4.

You can reach me directly at Kitfox@mcn.org

Thanks!

Kirby