Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just dreaming

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I,ve been an Avidflyer and Kitfox fan since their introduction to the aviation world.Sometime ago I saw

a picture of an All-metal wing of an Avidflyer under construction by a builder in Germany.I am interested to hear if this project has been sucesfull and if so,I would like to know how it was constructed.

Also,a friend asked me if it will be possible to use the Continental C-65 engine to power an Avidflyer model B.Has anybody thought of it and has done this said set-up?Please lat me hear from our talented friends out there who are willing to share such informations.

GODBLESS & Happy Landings,

Jess

Posted

Metalizing the Avid/Kitfox wing would be problematic. This wing design flexes a lot, so just covering it with metal would hamper that, much less adding a ton of weight.

A C65 engine at ~250 pounds compared to the Rotax 582 at ~75 pound would put a bunch of stress on the structure that it was not designed for and would necessitate the addition of balast in the tail to bring the cg back to spec.

Posted

I remembe seeing that all metal wing, But I can't remember the website and I have never seen or heard of anyone Flying it. Theclosest thing I have seen is the AeroFox or whatever they are calling it this year, it has all aluminum ribs but is still rag covered, at about $67,000 it doesn't sound too bad for a SLSA but you could buy 2 or 3 used Avid/Kitfoxes used and flyable at the price