Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

elevator bent ?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

In the process of recovering my KFIII elevator I noticed it was out of line. When you put it on a flat surface the left elevator is about an inch higher than the right. The tubes are all straight and it doesn't appear to have been bent but it definitely not even. Have I pulled it out of line by uneven shrinking of the covering or bend it or is this some aerodynamic Kitfox thing of which I'm ignorant?

thanks,

EG

Posted

My KF III elevator is the same. They were make to "feather" like a shuttle cock. I think the idea was to help prevent flutter.

The KF IV elevator is larger and does not have this feature.

In the process of recovering my KFIII elevator I noticed it was out of line. When you put it on a flat surface the left elevator is about an inch higher than the right. The tubes are all straight and it doesn't appear to have been bent but it definitely not even. Have I pulled it out of line by uneven shrinking of the covering or bend it or is this some aerodynamic Kitfox thing of which I'm ignorant?

thanks,

EG

Posted

Thanks. I just found an old issues of the Kitfox newsletter that mentions the uneveness.(Google to the rescue) It says it is there to keep a constant load on the elevator. Who knew ? Be nice if they maybe mentioned this in the manual, I was about to put on end of the thing under the door and do a little straightening !

Posted

My KF III elevator is the same. They were make to "feather" like a shuttle cock. I think the idea was to help prevent flutter.

The KF IV elevator is larger and does not have this feature.

Both my IV-1050 and Classic IV-1200 have the offset as described...

Posted

My mod 1 elev is bent from a accident but not the offset

The mod 3 I'm building has this offset elev

asw, could you post the # of that news letter?

Posted

Better yet, post a copy of the newsletter in the AvidFoxFlyers.com > Kitfox General Forum > News Letter thread > LINK HERE

Posted

Thanks, I added it to the Newsletter thread.