Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Coolant Hose Touching Exhaust

26 posts in this topic

Posted

I really appreciate the concern.  Lets bring balance to the conversation though.  I spoke with Dean at Lockwood Aviation this morning.  Moving a coolant fitting 10 degrees either direction will not strip threads.  The main concern for moving those fittings is the type of Loctite used to put it together.  My 2007 model was sealed with Loctite 648.  648 is gummy and will reseal itself in most circumstances.  The newer versions use Loctite 243.  It becomes brittle like glass when it dries and if the fitting is moved the Loctite 243 will shatter.  In that instance the fitting would need to be removed, cleaned and resealed.  The easiest test is if you can turn the fitting by hand after it cools it needs to be resealed.  If it wont turn by hand with reasonable pressure then it is okay.  I will be ground testing the engine and if it does not leak under pressure everything is good.  Please note that I said 648 will reseal (depending on circumstances and how much the fitting is moved) when heated and cooled back down.  I appreciate the dialog and it forces me to go out and get the education so I am familiar with my engine.  With a 10 degree turn there is no way threads would be stripped out and blow out of cylinder head.  That being said I have ordered new fittings and will replace them if I see a problem during ground testing. 

Another case in point regarding balanced views is the fact that I had a valve sticking when I tried to turn the engine by hand.  To some it was catastrophic.  To the professionals who know the engine it is common when engine sits for a while or low lead fuel is used.  They told me to lubricate the valve and start the engine and it would clean itself up.  I was very happy to see that was in fact what happened.  The valve no longer sticks. 

4 people like this