Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MK4 w/ea81 performance specs

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone,

I have completed (finally) the resto of my Avid MK4 and will be starting my taildragger training in it soon. So I am just in search of some flight/performance specs. 

In search of air speeds for;

Rotation, best angle of climb, best glide, best rate of climb, and maneuvering speed. 

Ive located a couple of the specs but they're based on a 582. Mine is equipped with a newly rebuilt EA81 conversion and single weber carb. 

Any input is much appreciated.

Here's a before/after pic

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice job, that was one ugly duckling. :beerchug:

Attaching a POH for a Sube-powered Model C I happen to have on file, should give you a good start.

Model C POH.pdf

Posted (edited)

Attaching a POH for a Sube-powered Model C I happen to have on file, should give you a good start.

Model C POH.pdf

One Warning note:  Power-Off Stalls/Spins probably wont happen - and you should not be trying them this early anyway - you will probably not stall and if not coordinated to stay level and mush will fall off into a spiral, and you need to get out of it fast.  This has been posted many times on here.  Of course, every plane is different.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Amazing transformation! Great job. Unfortunately the reason why we put these planes into a Phase 1 test period is to be a test pilot. Because of so many variations between each and every plane, numbers from others are merely a very loose guide. As a very loose guide even on heavy Avid's 60-65 works pretty good for takeoff, climb, and approach. Exact numbers will need to come from your flight test profile.

Posted

Model C POH.pdf

Wowsers someone put some SERIOUS thought into that POH. Thanks for posting Doug. I now have 3 sets of factory documents from 80s to late 90s and they had nothing on that guy. He must of tested for years! 

Posted

Thank you all for the help, and so quickly too. I'm aware the numbers right now are merely guidelines. Each bird is different but just needed someone to start. 

the instructor who will be testing it is the one that'll be teaching me on it. I just wasn't sure if he'd test on his own or we just start everything together. I guess he'd have that answer for me.

nonetheless I just needed somewhere to start and appreciate yours guys help. 

Cheers

Posted

They behave noticeably different with two people more so than a Cessna.

Posted (edited)

If the plane has to go back into Phase 1 for x hours, typically minimum 5, He cannot carry a passenger or student in it until time is flown off and entry into logbook is made.  Pretty bird you made from ugly duck!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Oh okay I didn't know about the passenger not being allowed during testing. Again thanks for all the help guys.

she did require a lot more work than anticipated. The seller stated "paint and some engine work". But overall it needed a lot more, an entirely new engine, carb setup, cooling system oil system, exhaust, all new wiring, cowling, paint, glass, some fabric repairs, brakes tires and tube and probably more that I am forgetting. 

Posted

Oh okay I didn't know about the passenger not being allowed during testing. Again thanks for all the help guys.

she did require a lot more work than anticipated. The seller stated "paint and some engine work". But overall it needed a lot more, an entirely new engine, carb setup, cooling system oil system, exhaust, all new wiring, cowling, paint, glass, some fabric repairs, brakes tires and tube and probably more that I am forgetting. 

The new engine sounds like "Major Changes" to me, because the engine serial number has changed?  You may have to fly out more hours in Phase 1 restricted area as designated by an inspector? - Everything should be logged, and depending on your Operating Limitations, if they are not the later version, you may have to have a new Airworthiness Inspection.  At least you should check it out to be completely legal for insurance reasons.   EDMO

Posted

The new engine sounds like "Major Changes" to me, because the engine serial number has changed?  You may have to fly out more hours in Phase 1 restricted area as designated by an inspector? - Everything should be logged, and depending on your Operating Limitations, if they are not the later version, you may have to have a new Airworthiness Inspection.  At least you should check it out to be completely legal for insurance reasons.   EDMO

oh yes I don't mean to downplay it, it's been a lot of work. The plane came with an EA81 with dual carb setup but apparently it had issues. I addressed a variety of issues with it and noticed several things that didn't sit well with me. I wasn't provided any documentation for the engine when I bought it but I had another crate engine that was completely rebuilt and came with supporting documents for the work provided so i switched to that one and am happy I did. 

When I was registering the plane with transport Canada as a Basic Ultralight they didn't request anything and apparently in this category no inspections are required. Only if I choose to register as Advanced Ultralight which would still need a statement of conformity from the manufacturer which wasn't going to happen. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

OH - Somehow I missed the Canada part - That's what happens when you don't paint a big, red, Mapleleaf on the bird!  Ha!  I was talking about United States rules!   "Major Changes" here usually require a logbook entry and sometimes another airworthiness inspection.   I know things work differently up there, so just forget anything I said and go with whatever you are told up there.  You made an amazing difference in the looks of this plane.  Congratulations.

Good Flying,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO