582 Carb bowls

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The starboard horizontal stab on my plane has been collecting an oily film on it after Running the engine. This is since I removed the oil injection and went to 50:1 pre mix. Also, after setting awhile, on the bottom side of the carb bowl bailes/retainers, a drop of oil is present and it appears to be dripping on the muffler (see pics).  It's not out of the rotary valve oiler as the oil level has not gone down. Engine runs fine. Engine does have a Green Sky mixture control which is a knock off of Chris Bolkan's design.  Any thoughts?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by BryceKat

Posted

Been wrenching on two strokes since the early 80's starting at the Evinrude dealership. I'd say that is normal. The outboards usually have a film of oil all over under the cowling and have been known to drip at the prop.

You might change the bowl gaskets just because.

So why did you pull the oil injection? I thought it was reliable.

50:1 is the ratio to run at full throttle. Anything less it is going to blow a bit of oil out of the exhaust.

Posted

Got the problem solved, it was too much fuel pressure on the fuel system. I had installed a forward facing vent on the gas cap that was creating the excessive pressure.  I removed the oil injection system because of the weight in the complexity of the system. It adds too much weight on the wrong side of the CG, and as long as the engine is getting gas with pre-mix, it's getting oil.