Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I need float advice for a Kitfox IV 1200

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the end goal of putting my plane on amphibious floats.  I've looked at several different kinds out there but nothing seems to be a perfect match for this plane.  They are either too small or too big. 

I'm considering a set of the Full Lotus floats.  I like the redesigned gear in them now.  They are ugly but seem like they would be durable for the way I would use them but I'm not sure I like the idea of draining the bladders a couple times a season.

Zenair floats seem like they are either too big or too small for my plane.

A set or Aerocets just popped up on barnstormers but the gear hardware looks flimsy to me.

Are there any float plane pilots here that can steer me in a direction?  I don't want to get a set only to find that I hate them.

Posted

There's a guy near me named Paul Seehafer.  He is an absolute guru with floats on Avids and Kitfoxes.  He is Av8rPS on team Kitfox.  I don't think he's on here.  He's also the Seaplane Base Chaiman at EAA.

He is the guy to reach out to and discuss this.  Forewarning, he's a talker and will go on and on for hours.  

Posted

I've found that everyone I've met that are associated with these aircraft like to talk.  ^_^

Thank you for your help.  I'll reach out to him.

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't beat around the bush, here Greg.   What are you trying to say about Doug?

1 person likes this

Posted

I have no idea what you are talking about.  ;)

Posted

Come on guys!

This is serious stuff...:biker2:

Posted

Lol, I think Paul has written just about all there is to write about floating the various Avid/Kitfox models. If you search TKF for posts on the subject you will find a ton of great info therefrom him, the vast majority based on actual experience rather than speculation. He has helped me immensely and always generous with his time. Unfortunately, it would appear you have already identified the biggest problem about floating a model 4-1200, ie. there simply is no standout go-to choice for amphib floats. And, I assure you, moving up the list of choices can get damn expensive damn quick! I knew Zenair bought Full Lotus but hadn't seen their new AFM gear design for the 1450 floats. Looks much better than the old amphib gear. How much are they asking for those floats with KF4 rigging after the current 20% off thru year end sale?