Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fly In

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I went to a Fly In this weekend.  A first for me.  It was at 9FL1, Flying W Airranch.  Whoa!  What an experience.  Nothing like a cruise-in for cars until you're 'parked'.

As luck would have it, no one within 50 miles of me was burning *anything*.  The windsock at the field I found after I parked, nestled among the graceful oaks.  Fortunately this is FL and plenty of water around to at least get an idea of surface winds.  That and watching the other little planes.

The pattern was busy and I ended up deciding to go around halfway into final on my first try.  As I lined up the approach, a stream of planes, 5-6 of them were back taxiing down the runway to my right.  Then two RV's kicked tails out and started to take off in front of me.  Yikes!  "72MT turning right leaving final, climbing out".

I get about 500' above the pattern and circled wide to come back to 45 into DW and took that time to watch operations a little more closely.  If I was going to have pancakes, I would have to land behind someone and to the left of the back taxiing traffic.  I set up the approach and made a great landing.  The experience was worth it.  However I did not fly to the two other nearby fly-ins. One was enough for today.  I also lost interest in the pancakes.  BUT, I saw so many very cool aircraft and highly skilled pilots.  The scenery both moving and parked was stunning!  Plenty of great folks to make conversation with too.  Had a great time.

I waited for most of the heavy metal planes, squadrons of RVs with their cowboy pilots, and smoking biplanes to fly out before making my humble departure :)  Taxi and take off went well too!

It was a great day and I love flying even more!

Edited by Knuckledragger
3 people like this

Posted

yeah that's the stuff .I love flyin season

Posted

No pictures??? :huh:

Posted

Who has time for pic taking when your busy fly'in and having a great time?  Hat tip to those who create the documentaries of their journeys - I often enjoy them.  :news:

1 person likes this

Posted

sorry about that! Next time, I promise :BC: