Reply to Landing Gear Bungee Replacement

By FredStork,
Adding to this topic... I just made and replaced my shock cords
...thought I should share what I went trough... Aircraft Spruce 06-12400 is the 3/8" shock cord you need Thank you Jim for the reference!
For 7 warps you should have 90 inch between the loops Thank you Steve for dimensions and instructions! With 20 feet you will have more than you need and be comfortable, 18 feet is strict minimum as you will need a little extra to pull on when making the in loops. (Note that the tension/extension tool used will influence the amount of cord needed...) I made a simple tool from some scrap material and spent the (very little) extra time to do something reusable rather than an quick and dirty setup for single use. After all I'll be doing this every 5 years.  Thank you http://avidflyer.wikia.com/wiki/Shock_Cord_Fabrication_and_Replacement for inspiration!   Decide how much pre-tension/extension you want when wrapping the cords. I arbitrarily went for a 50% extension (20 cm relaxed, 30 cm with tension applied). Form a loop and place something to increase the friction cord to cord between the cords (I used a large rubber band...) and clamped the cords with a few cable ties.  2 additional cable ties will keep the cords together when wrapping them. Place the cable tie on your loop end before applying the tension to indicate where the limit of the wrapping - as if applying it later it might end up too close to the end of the loop.A small amount of neoprene glue between the cords will increase the friction and 2 smaller separate wraps with safety wire is safer than one big...To protect the metal safety wire cover the wraps with cotton band and textile glue before covering them with transparent shrink tubing.That's it! Once you have the tool and material you can do 2 new bungees i less than 1 hour!  How to replace the bungee cords easily is described by Steve in the Bungee installation.doc link above.