NEW KITFOX S7-STi WNG PRICES

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone read Sport Aviation mag this month about the new wings for KITFOX S7-STi and 5,6,7 models?

STi wing is priced at $9850, and Shock Monster Gear at $8000 without tires,  compression springs instead of shocks are $2000 less.

I wonder if they include wing assembly or flaperons for about $10 Grand plus shipping!

I wonder if the new "STOL inspired" wings look something like our old Eppler Undercambered wings with flat-bottomed flaperons !!!

Are my old wings now cheaper, or worth more?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Funny.  Everyone loves to hate on Kitfox as being expensive.  Try to build a SuperSTOL wing or a cub wing for less than that.  The r&d outlay for this design is beyond your dreams.  This price is more than competitive with the rest of the market.  

The STi is a brand new wing.  It is not the old undercambered, ultralight wing.  It looks, at first glance, to be the exact same as the Riblett airfoil, but it isn't.  It is a totally new airfoil. 

STOL Performance is is better than the cub wings at their weights.  Cruise is higher as well. 

This is isn't another prettied up Kitfox SS.   It is going to 'just' embarrass some manufacturers and leave others scraping the carbon off thier tailpipes. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Funny.  Everyone loves to hate on Kitfox as being expensive.  Try to build a SuperSTOL wing or a cub wing for less than that.  The r&d outlay for this design is beyond your dreams.  This price is more than competitive with the rest of the market.  

The STi is a brand new wing.  It is not the old undercambered, ultralight wing.  It looks, at first glance, to be the exact same as the Riblett airfoil, but it isn't.  It is a totally new airfoil. 

STOL Performance is is better than the cub wings at their weights.  Cruise is higher as well. 

This is isn't another prettied up Kitfox SS.   It is going to 'just' embarrass some manufacturers and leave others scraping the carbon off thier tailpipes. 

Any info on what rib is used for the new wings?

EdMo

Posted

No. Their wing is still very propiatory at this point. 

Posted

Where are the videos of this thing off airport? 20 Grand mod I wanna see it in action.

Posted

Any more info on this wing?

Posted

Very interesting about how they put the VGs on the wing - and stall fences are nothing new...Was there wrinkles in that flaperon?

EDMO

Posted

Saw some pics of it flying in the snow the other day with Leaderbrands turn key S7. Big long strip and some air to air footage. Still nothing that is impressive at all. Anyone know of any other planes flying with this wing? 

Posted

Leaderbrands is the plane with silver with Green graphics that is in the videos and at Oshkosh I presume. 

Kitfox responded to my FB question of Stall speed.  31-32 MPH with 29" Alaskan Bush tires. The bush tires hurt The stall speed a little due to weight is my guess. 31 MPH is honorable if it's repeatable. 

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.46ae0a3f1e88fc598f25152It looks like an undercut airfoil from this photo.  That would explain the 25mph top speed penalty. 

Posted (edited)

I thought the wing in the Oshkosh video looked like it had a slight undercamber...Wonder if he has a 914 in it, or something larger?   Did he give you a price on the wings?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It's not an under-cambered airfoil like the Highlander or the 1-3 Kitfox.  The above photo shows the curve of the bubble window making the lower surface of the wing look more curved than it actually is.  From looking at it at OSH last year it appears to be a thicker airfoil with higher curve on the top surface.

Posted (edited)

I was looking at a still frame of the Osh video looking under the wing from the tip - it looked like a slight undercamber, but not as much as the Avids or 123 Foxes.  I have spent a lot of time making mine with leading edge extensions and the modified Riblett ribs, sort of like the Classic 4, so I am staying with that, and now starting to make larger flaps and differential ailerons with separate controls.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO