Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HEADLIGHT WIG-WAG FLASHERS?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone got a bucket-full of knowledge on flashers?   Whelen 2150 for $25 new?  Others? 

Going to use Two 18watt 6 LED, 2" high x 6"wide x 4" long floodlights for Wig-Wags....$22 for new pair.

Mounted in front of my Spar strut fitting - should be perfect fit under my 4" leading edge extension.

That's a high drag area anyway.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

How many lumens ED?

Posted (edited)

Each light is1350 lumens - I don't want to look at something with them - Just be seen. 

Bright White 6000 on color scale.   Each LED is 3 watts x 6 = 18 watts each light. 

"superbrightleds.com" has a chart for "Off Road or Work Lights"- only place I have found lumens listed.

But I bought these on ebay cheaper, for $22 a pair - similar lights, same output, maybe different mount.

These are waterproof too.

These might be good lights for Joey with his 582 - since only one light will be on at a time, current draw should be only 1.5 amps at 12 volts, I think.  

Some others have a screw at each end for mounting flat - could add to strut with a band clamp, or on front of spar?

He could run the wires right down the front strut to the plane - easy addition to finished wings.

I will run my wires the same way, although mine aren't covered yet.

Joey, you don't have to thank me for analyzing and solving your latest problem today - Just send $$$....Ha!

EdMO

post-399-0-14551200-1437532955.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I used these very same lights on my biplane. I set them up for a taxi light and a landing light. I never used them at night but I watched my buddy taxi my plane with them on and they were blinding even in the day!

I bought a set for my Magnum but haven't mounted them yet.

Not the lightest things though...

Ron

Posted

Ed,

If I decipher you first message right, you are going to have them strobe on and off so traffic can see you?

There are cop car LEDs that do that that are lighter, smaller, and brighter...I bought some thinking the would stay on all the time, but the flash was built in with them...I'll try to find where I got them from if you are interested...

Posted (edited)

Ron,

If you can find the cop-car lights, someone might want them.  I have already ordered these.  I cant fly at night, but I have that covered with two 100 watt rectangular off-road spotlights for emergency - Like a Solar Eclipse - Ha!

The LEDs I found at Wal-Mart are probably lighter than these too - But I couldn't tell if they were as bright.

I have found out some things about the flashers to control them - there are two types: a hot-lead flasher, and a ground-lead flasher - If you are installing them on a car, you have to get the correct one - on our planes, it doesn't matter, except with the ground lead you have to run the ground back to the controller, instead of to the airframe - you just hook them up in different ways.  Controllers come in different flashes too - from 60 flashes per minute to 280 flashes, and some have random changing patterns of flashing.

EdMO

I got my lights today, and they are heavier than the ones I have seen at local stores.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Funny thing about lights - We put them on so we can see, or other planes can see us -

During WW2, the Navy tried using lights to hide ships in daylight - seems like if you get enough of them, the ship silhouette disappears on the horizon :huh:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Keep 'em flashing Ed.

We don't want to lose you!

Posted (edited)

Here is a photo of WigWag LED light in front of my modified strut fitting, on my 4" leading edge extension - Wing is upside down - Guess I could put a curved or angled Lexan in front of it to cut down drag...I may wish I had bought the same light as a spotlight, but figured the floodlight might be seen at a greater angle :huh:

Joey, I think a pair of the lighter ones on your struts (maybe with curved lenses) would do better and let you be seen just as well.  Even the small 2" diameter round ones with 4 LEDs would work, and only draw 1 amp.

Guess I have dragged this subject out long enough - time to stop and get to work on rib end reinforcements.

Got to finish that and get my struts made by this fall so I can start on flaps and ailerons this winter.

EdMO

I learned that the SHO-ME flashers are made in Cassville, Missouri, and the installation instructions for both the hot-switching and the ground-switching are on the internet.  $90 Retail, but $10 used to $20 new on ebay.

I also found some small motorcycle spotlights, some with flashers, with a ring-clamp to put them on handlebars, or on your front strut...You might be able to find something better, cheaper, if you search, But I have learned that you should find out if they are waterproof - not all LED lights are waterproof.

post-399-0-33568200-1437696778_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-91262200-1437988538.jpg

post-399-0-65978100-1438106088.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri