Broken rib tail repair

By 1avidflyer in Avidfoxflyers General Hangar,
Hi all,  been working on the Avid some more, brought a wing up to the garage where I have some heat.  (It's supposed to be +2 F for a low tonight)  I have two broken rig tails on that wing, and so have worked on them after I ripped the fabric off.  I bought a 2' x 4' sheet of 1/4" 12 ply plywood from ACS  a while back and cut out some rib tails.  Here is how I'm fixing them.  I know Brett had a repair where he replaced the whole rib behind the rear spar, but I'm going a different way.  I built a few jigs so I can cut more tails with the table saw easy if anyone wants some.   A heat gun will soften the glue, I think they used T88 on the ribs and it does soften up with heat.  Careful cutting with a saber saw to get most of the rib out of the way, then heat and gently pry the rest off of the rib cap strips.  I am going to put a scab on each side of the rib (second picture)  that will be glued in to make it stronger than before.  (I think)  Any way, if anyone sees anything wrong, other than the messy workshop, fire away!  Jim Chuk
  • 8 replies