Avid model C turtle deck pictures needed...

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

O'Reilly autostore has these films - I get a glare from my big shop door that bothers my wife - I used this on the house window where the glare came thru - first bought the lightest, then the medium, and finally bought the darkest one that says it is "illegal" for front car windows.  Donno how it will work on Plexi, but guess it might work if it will stay on them - always use on inside.   I replaced my side windows on the Ercoupe with Light Bronze Lexan, and replaced the original green sunroof with Dark Bronze but think that part was Plexi.  

I just noticed that the film in the picture above is 20 VLT (20% Visual Light Transmission)  The Plexi I bought for the sunroof was labeled as 87% Light Blockage (Very Dark), (75% Blockage would have been good), so I guess you have to watch which way it is labeled.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It will bubble and look like hell.  Plastics constantly off gas.  This is why putting tint film on plastic doesn't work. 

This has been discussed at length everywhere from the Yahoo board to TeamKitfox to Back Country Pilot. 

Posted (edited)

At one time, they made a transparent spray (rattle can) to tint plexi - Don't know if they still make it, or how well it lasts - applied to inside. 

IMO, the best thing to do is just buy some tinted plexi / Lexan and install it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It will bubble and look like hell.  Plastics constantly off gas.  This is why putting tint film on plastic doesn't work. 

This has been discussed at length everywhere from the Yahoo board to TeamKitfox to Back Country Pilot. 

There are films made specifically for application to acrylic and poly carbonate. More specifically, there are 'blister free' films that feature a special pressure sensitive adhesive developed for adhesion to rigid plastic glazing, and films which are static cling. My Aerotrek came with a very nice tinting film adhesive applied to the exterior skylight and T-deck windows, no issues whatsoever. The only reason I discovered it was a film vs. tinted poly was because I had to replace it. However, I am researching static cling type applications to apply to clear Makrolon poly carbonate sheeting and was curious if the cling product mentioned earlier in this thread was applied inside or out and how it has worked out. FWIW, I have found the most positive endorsements of cling type films on plexi or poly carbonate often involve Gila brand film. Here's one example: http://csobeech.com/windowtint.html

Posted (edited)

There are films made specifically for application to acrylic and poly carbonate. More specifically, there are 'blister free' films that feature a special pressure sensitive adhesive developed for adhesion to rigid plastic glazing, and films which are static cling. My Aerotrek came with a very nice tinting film adhesive applied to the exterior skylight and T-deck windows, no issues whatsoever. The only reason I discovered it was a film vs. tinted poly was because I had to replace it. However, I am researching static cling type applications to apply to clear Makrolon poly carbonate sheeting and was curious if the cling product mentioned earlier in this thread was applied inside or out and how it has worked out. FWIW, I have found the most positive endorsements of cling type films on plexi or poly carbonate often involve Gila brand film. Here's one example: http://csobeech.com/windowtint.html

Doug,  Why did you have to replace the film?  How long had it been on the Aerotrek?  I agree with the one guy in the link, "the film is directional" - my wife put it backwards inside one window and the view was not nearly as clear as the ones I installed.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'm not able to give you any information. I've not yet installed it.     Lou

Posted

Thanks Lou. And I thought my project was moving slow....:lmao:

1 person likes this