Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid B model to MK4 Elevator upgrade

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Dave everyone that I have talked to who have done it said it wasn't worth the time. With the false ribs on the avid HH wing it creates small dips in the fabric that almost act as a VG. I've had the stol speed ones in my hangar for 2 years I've just never gotten around to installing them.

Posted

With a major increase in pitch authority you will also likely have different (worsened) stall/spin characteristics. An airplane that was unable to spin, or spiraled out of a spin... may now be able to get wrapped up tightly in a spin, or stall deeper, etc.

This "rule" is a generality, and I have ZERO flight experience in an Avid. But increasing the pitch control power ALWAYS exacerbates stall and spin type stuff. Don't panic, but just be careful and understand all of the ramifications that are involved with this type of mod. :)

Posted

Nice tail Joey!! or umm o never mind. any chance I could get you or anyone to measure the length of the little tab on the trim tab itself that the rod attaches to. the metal I used on mine was too thin and a slight bump has bent it but I'm 1.5hr drive away from my plane and want to make a new one before I go down again hopefully next week. mainly looking for the distance from the bottom of the trim tab to the center of the hole. 

p.s. I also got the servo cover from Highwing haven't installed it yet but the quality is very nice well worth it. aside from airflow/asthetics it protects that little piece of gold from mud/water just my .02 if anyone else was considering it.

p.s.s I've been having slight issues with the rod wanting to walk out of the piano hinge in the tab. mine looks exactly like yours. I'm planning to just drill a small hole in the end and put a cotter pin through it to hold it in place. just a possible area of concern to keep an eye on. 

-Robert- 

I just got my elevator back from Highwing LLC today. I had it exteneded to the Mark 4 dimensions which is almost 4" more chord as well as installing a Ray Allen trim system. Can't wait to test fly it. Hoping to complete the bulk of the install this weekend. Will report back with a PIREP.

Lowell Fitt did all the work. He powerdercoated the metal after the extension and did all the work you see in the pic. He also covered and painted the final product. I am VERY impressed with his craftmanship.

IMG_0489.jpg;