Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

early brake upgrade options

3 posts in this topic

Posted

My brother and I are working on an early Avid ser# 110. It has Mechanical drum brakes that we have rebuilt and adjusted but they don't work very well. What is the easiest and most economical way to convert to hydrolic disc brakes or is there a trick to getting the mechanical brakes to work better.

Posted

Mechanical brakes = well you know not much you can do about it.

the problem with converting these older airframes is the limited space in the footwells so you're limited on master cylinders most go with the Matco MC-4D they are small enough to fit and very effective. The rudder torque tubes can have small tabs welded on to make a mounting point for the lower part of the master cylinder or you can extend the firewall forward a bit to allow room to mount them to the floor boards this is the route I did. You will then need new pedals these can be made real easy if you weld or you can buy them from Mikesk here on the board. As for the landing gear you are better off going to the wide gear for other reasons than brake issues but if you wish to use your existing gear you just need a small 2x3"? plate welded on that goes centered over the axle this will have 4 holes drilled in it to mount the new brakes. a single puck matco caliper is all you really need thats what I'm running off of an old kitfox and I can do a complete runup picking the tail up off the ground without moving and inch. The most economical way would be to find parts from an older kitfox maybe someone here will have them laying around and chime in but its going to cost a fair amount anyway way you do it but its well worth the investment. 

Look here http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/530-go-kart-to-matco-brakes/?hl=brakes for a good write up Joey did on his bird I believe you have the same airframe as his in the areas of concern.

good luck

1 person likes this

Posted

High Country, Thanks for the info.