Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HANDY WING SUPPORTS

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In case anyone wants some photos, I am in the process of building two wing supports out of 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipes.   These can be your missing person if you ever need to support a wing.

I need them to hold the wings while two of us tack-weld the new struts and fittings.  I will have a mostly bare fuselage with no engine or ballast to keep it from tipping over.

Another thought, these fold and store and could be used for a temporary support under one wing while you fold the other under less than ideal conditions without a helper. 

I am sure that they could be made in smaller pieces for more convenience - you can always improve on an original design.

Post if you want photos, dimensions, etc.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey ED; post them please! not that I need them now, but is never wrong to see building methods, jigs, fixtures, etc, etc, so we can go back and look whenever is need it...

post them all, All of them!

would be nice to see your progress of the whole project...

Regards

Dimi3

Posted (edited)

I will try to post some photos of the supports in a couple of days - As far as progress on my Foxy Flapper - work is slowly getting done - I am mostly working alone with an injured shoulder - nearest help is 20 miles away - the only aircraft welder is 50 miles away - I have the main gear on and the parts to make the nose gear but a little more welding is needed - wings are 90% and other parts are sitting on the shelf or waiting to be made - I will post a photo of the gears as soon as I can install the nose gear.  Flaps and ailerons are next to be built from scratch and will post some photos when that is completed.  The support photos will be on this post - The plane photos will be in "Foxy Flapper Fotos" in the Kitfox IV section.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Wolverine,

Here are 3 photos of the Wing Support Assembly.

I bought 3  PVC Schedule 40 pipes 10 feet long,

6  Elbows

2  T's

Glue

The uprights and the 30 inch solid bottom tubes were not glued to the elbows and T's of the 15 inch tubes, but that might be necessary.  The two uprights have not been cut to length yet.   Another possibility is to insert a smaller tube into shortened uprights and drill and bolt it, or put a band clamp on it, when telescoped to the right height.

I should have rotated the center photo, but too late now.

Hope this may help someone.

EDMO

post-399-0-47268800-1408155352_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-28836400-1408155527_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-18113100-1408155558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this